Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

new truck shopping

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Thanks.

They call it "Barcelona red" now, Doug...but at least it's still metallic. Several non-metallic paints available for these, which I really couldn't warm up to. Wanted something in "a color" this time around, not on the neutral palate (although I'd have bought the darker gray without hesitation if the deal worked out right).

Still flipping through the owner's manual- this thing has lots of crap I don't want, but at least from what I've experienced Toyota does a better job than some of making the features work as intended...evidently there's an app I can install on my phone to do something, although I'm not yet clear just what it does or why I want it.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I'm usually not a fan of red either- and if the blue was still the metallic one they had in '17 (fairly similar to your Ford), it would've been my pick...but it's not, and everything else is some kind of non-color color.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Soon as I can travel, I hope so.

Already missed my planned spring trip down to Kentucky and Tennessee. :(

I'll have to double check, but I think I had the Ford in 14 states...maybe I can beat that with this one.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Ticked over 1000 miles on it the other day- so far, so good. It's bigger than my Ranger, which isn't a plus...but it's not a huge minus, either- I'm perfectly comfortable driving big vehicles as long as they have decent mirrors (this does), and so far I haven't found to many places that extra size hurts.

It's too fancy for my blood (radar cruise control? Apple CarPlay? Get off my lawn and give me my window cranks back!) but at least all the tech works pretty seamlessly...I don't like it or want it, but as long as it works I can put up with it- and this does seem to work.

I like the driveline- it's geared way better than my Ranger was, to be honest...the Ranger had such tall gears in first and reverse (3.73 rear end) it always felt like I was beating the hell out of the clutch to get a trailer moving...this one shifts like a truck- up through the gears fast- which I prefer, especially since a six-speed means it still has pretty long legs on the highway.

Still wondering how I feel about the crew cab/5' box versus an extended cab with a 6' box...with everything so weird, I haven't used it for much that it made any difference yet. But at least I don't regret it yet.

Still feels weird not to have a roadworthy Ford in the yard...but it's a nice truck and I really do like the manual trans, so I guess I'll have to get used to it.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
I know how you feel not being a Ford. I needed a new car I looked at every Ford they make. Ended up with a 2020 Subaru crosstrek. But at least I still have my F150.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Learned (the easy way, fortunately!) yesterday that the tailgate on this truck is bigger or differently positioned relative to the hitch than it was on my Ranger...the Toyota 'gate would hit the tongue jack on my trailer if I opened it; the Ford would clear as long as it was parked fairly straight. Guess I need a new jack for the trailer...be nice to have a swivel style, anyway- this one hangs too low down and bottoms out occasionally.

On the bright side, a power rear sliding window is thing I didn't know I missed...but I sure do like. (Especially with the crew cab where I can't reach the back window...but even with practice it was a pretty awkward movement in an extended cab truck.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Congrats on the truck Ian!

Jasperrc

Texas Chapter member
My wife's cousin recently bought a red Tacoma as well, not the TRD version though. They like it pretty well!

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Does yours have the 110 AC plug in the bed? Not sure if that's an option or standard.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

It does, although I haven't yet figured out what I could use it for...I think it's 100W going down the road and 400W when parked. Don't think it's enough juice to run a circular saw, which was the first use that came to my mind for a plug in that location.

Definitely glad I bought when I did...a friend is supposed to be picking up a new Tacoma today (maybe), and from talking to him the supply chain has almost totally dried up...nevermind getting a good deal on what you want, it's getting hard to find a Tacoma to buy at all...local dealer shows one in stock. They had at least 6-8 when I bought...and still had to go 200 miles for the one I wanted.

And another friend sent a pic- he found my old Ranger on a local used car lot, with what appears to be a good polish and a tiny bit of paintwork. Without putting too fine a point on it, if I thought it was worth anywhere close to what they're asking I'd still be driving it. Hope any potential buyer crawls underneath or brings it to a mechanic...

Blue-Truck-Nut97

crank polisher
It does, although I haven't yet figured out what I could use it for...I think it's 100W going down the road and 400W when parked. Don't think it's enough juice to run a circular saw, which was the first use that came to my mind for a plug in that location.

Definitely glad I bought when I did...a friend is supposed to be picking up a new Tacoma today (maybe), and from talking to him the supply chain has almost totally dried up...nevermind getting a good deal on what you want, it's getting hard to find a Tacoma to buy at all...local dealer shows one in stock. They had at least 6-8 when I bought...and still had to go 200 miles for the one I wanted.

And another friend sent a pic- he found my old Ranger on a local used car lot, with what appears to be a good polish and a tiny bit of paintwork. Without putting too fine a point on it, if I thought it was worth anywhere close to what they're asking I'd still be driving it. Hope any potential buyer crawls underneath or brings it to a mechanic...
Wow, that's interesting about your Ranger. They may get their price, a used vehicle that moves under its own power is hard to find at the moment. Lol

I was thinking about you today, I'm running around with a buddy in his new 4 Runner, dang it's fancy. I've put about 400 miles under it, still haven't figured everything out. Incidentally, the 110 plug is charging my stream light. I do believe after driving one this much I can safely say I prefer my OBS, but the Yoda has its good points.

The in dash navigation is testing my patience.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Jake, your too young to be old skool.
LMAO

Ford Truck Articles