Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

E4OD Rebuild. First One

Michigan
My Dads buddy from work has a 1995 F350 4x4 with a 460. Truck has never had the trans rebuilt nor the motor and it is still running strong at 319K original miles.

He asked me if i could put in a new pump seal because his was leaking pretty bad. I did some reading up and took the trans out. Pump seal was so bad it gouged the snout of the converter. So i ordered him a new converter, pump seal kit. Two days later he ask how i felt about tearing it down and freshening it up. The truck still shifted decent but he just wants everything to be new because hes planning on restoring it.

So i ordered a complete rebuild kit, along with pump gears and a good manual.

Started tearing it down last night following the manual step by step and i got hung up on one step. Pulling the check balls from under the accumulator, main valve body and solenoid body. After i pulled the separator plate/ gasket it was obvious where the check balls were.

Manual calls for 10 rubber and 1 steel. In the manual it shows the locations of them in the trans. I found 9 even following where they were suppose to be and i was careful of checking under the plate when i pulled it off to make sure none stuck to the bottom of it.

I also found the steel check ball but it was not even close to where the manual shows. The steel check ball in this trans was on top of the spring.

After a little more reading online last night i found that some transmissions call for the steel check ball to be on the spring (Like mine was) followed by 8 rubber check balls. Well it still makes no sense since i still came up with 9 rubber.

Can anyone help solve this mystery? Again the truck is a 1995 F350 4x4 with the 460. E4OD transmission. Thanks!

if it was me a picture is worth more than words !basicaly anything i take apart i try to rember somehow>the way it came apart if it ran fine before and just sticking rebuild in it ,then it goes back they way it was .
there are a few certified mechanics on this site they know there stuff [fords]search around and read through some profiles or post where some one has asked a specfic question like yours .good luck

blacksnapon

Staff member
In the channels of the valve body, remember sinks (circular) and bathtubs (elongated). Those need checkballs. Its not unusual for the rubber (or fiber) balls to deteriorate and disappear.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts