Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

EcoBoost exhaust

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Looking into some exhaust for the new truck. I don't want it to be loud and obnoxious (read: fart-can muffler) but I do want some good tone. So far I've found 2 different systems being offered:

Magnaflow:

Heartthrob Exhaust:

Any opinions about exhaust on a V6?

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Erica's v6 mustang sounds pretty good with a flowmaster 50 series muffler. It adds a little more growl but doesn't scream 'v6'.

I like the sound of the second one you posted a lot! It sounds like a diesel with that turbo.

I've said this before but my friend who owns a muffler shop doesn't have a lot of nice things to say about magnaflow. The welds rot out quickly, but you don't have that problem nearly as bad in California.

Ryan

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
that's a hard one. I think they both put out totally different sounds.

Second one sounds like a diesel to me, not a bad thing, just depends on what you're looking for.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Turn up the radio until you can't tell you can't hear the exhaust? I always did like simple solutions...

Seriously...the second one has way too much turbo noise for me- I know I won't make many friends with this opinion, but I don't think turbochargers make pretty noises. [confused]

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
so you want him to make it sound like a import car???? hmmm... i think diesel sounding is better that a rice burner...

that mustang sounded very nice with the touring setup nothing like a import..

diesel sound is great but its his choice if it was me i would prefer the smoother deeper tone..

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Supra sounds nice but definitely not the tone I'm looking for on this truck. Deep and soft-spoken (and some turbo noise would be a nice bonus) I think is what I'm looking for.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Chris, you already know this but, research, research, research. You're contemplating tampering with a very high tech piece.
smiliewhathesaid And, in a turbo, the exhaust is a critical part of that technology.

That type of mod could have warranty implications as well. As Goose said, research, research, research...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I like the first one better.

And, in a turbo, the exhaust is a critical part of that technology.

That type of mod could have warranty implications as well.

That was the first thing that crossed my mind yesterday when I read this thread, so I'm glad someone else said it, so I didn't have to be the a-hole.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
smiliewhathesaid And, in a turbo, the exhaust is a critical part of that technology.

That type of mod could have warranty implications as well. As Goose said, research, research, research...
Absolutely. Maintaining my warranty and not compromising the engineering in this truck is my very highest priority. I'm hoping that only changing things behind the cats won't have much an effect on the efficiency or performance, but of course I'll research the hell out of that before I do anything.

From what I've seen so far-- these exhaust manufacturers are posting before/after dyno results for their systems and it's showing gains in power. If true, then that's a good thing ;)

At this point I'm only looking around to see if there's even an exhaust system with the sound that I like. I'm not going to bother with all the technical research unless I can first find a sound that is acceptable.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Absolutely. Maintaining my warranty and not compromising the engineering in this truck is my very highest priority. I'm hoping that only changing things behind the cats won't have much an effect on the efficiency or performance, but of course I'll research the hell out of that before I do anything.

From what I've seen so far-- these exhaust manufacturers are posting before/after dyno results for their systems and it's showing gains in power. If true, then that's a good thing ;)

At this point I'm only looking around to see if there's even an exhaust system with the sound that I like. I'm not going to bother with all the technical research unless I can first find a sound that is acceptable.

On the other hand, Ford spent $100's of millions on engineering research to make those motors as efficient as possible. Efficiency is an interesting word, since Engineers now know what hotrodders knew years ago- an efficient engine develops more power, and delivers better fuel mileage. If it had been that easy (and relatively inexpensive) to get those gains, one of those exhausts would already be on the truck.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
On the other hand, Ford spent $100's of millions on engineering research to make those motors as efficient as possible. Efficiency is an interesting word, since Engineers now know what hotrodders knew years ago- an efficient engine develops more power, and delivers better fuel mileage. If it had been that easy (and relatively inexpensive) to get those gains, one of those exhausts would already be on the truck.

On the flip side, they spend a fortune to make modern vehicles quiet. I understood that low noise was priority 1.

Ryan

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I never understood why anyone would cut the exhaust off anew vehicle and change it. I'd wait till warranty is over.

Ford Truck Articles