Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Having trouble starting after warm up

So I tried messing with the timing. I couldn't even get the truck to turn. Just a clunck from the starter. After bumb starting it I was able to fine tune the timing and think that I almost spot on.

I swear its not the timing because it wont even turn over once. Plus my ground and wire from my relay to the starter still get really hot.

Thanks for the Help... Alot of people from other forums are dicks to the noobs that just start posting on the thier site.

Fellro

Staff member
At least that narrows it down. A starter for that truck shouldn't cost any too much, just not all that fun to change sometimes.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
So I tried messing with the timing. I couldn't even get the truck to turn. Just a clunck from the starter. After bumb starting it I was able to fine tune the timing and think that I almost spot on.

I swear its not the timing because it wont even turn over once. Plus my ground and wire from my relay to the starter still get really hot.

Thanks for the Help... Alot of people from other forums are dicks to the noobs that just start posting on the thier site.

sounds like the good ole starter taking the dump finally

WOOT WOOT I WAS RIGHT WOOT WOOT!!!!

jk. i just am glad ya figured it out.

Ya, I picked one up today on my way to work and its was only 63 plus another 22 for da core charge. Not to bad but really. Many Mahalo's (Thanks) for the kokua (Help)

and thats what we're here for.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ

Puhleeaaaaasssssseee!

Go back to playing with your Corsica smilietease

After changing the starter it couldn't hurt to change the cables either. They are fairly inexpensive.

IMO you need to do some inspecting.

Have your battery tested at a shop.It is free of charge and will diagnose any problem with the battery

You see, batteries can develop shorts inside themselves
Battery cables can corrode under the protective cover and cause a strain to the starter causing the cable to heat up

Starter drives/bendix can develop problems from the heat.
Consider a protective shield for the starter. A must for a truck with headers

IMO you need to do some inspecting.

Have your battery tested at a shop.It is free of charge and will diagnose any problem with the battery

You see, batteries can develop shorts inside themselves
Battery cables can corrode under the protective cover and cause a strain to the starter causing the cable to heat up

Starter drives/bendix can develop problems from the heat.
Consider a protective shield for the starter. A must for a truck with headers

I have already replaced most of the wiring: Battery to relay/relay to starter/and main ground.

The battery is really new and have I've charged it just to make sure. And plus the truck doesn't have headers yet! Thanks for the input.

I'll probably be able to swap it out tonight if I can get out of work early enough. I'll throw up a post when its done.

Thanks again for all the input!!!

Last edited:
Where does the other end of the negative battery cable attach ?

Make sure it as close to the starter as possible on a non-painted surface.

400's,429's 460's all have the same problem

Usually it's a timing problem. a few degress off

sounds like the good ole starter taking the dump finally

I think your both right.

The starter was bad and the timing is still affecting how the truck starts. The truck starts right up perfect from a cold start but lags a little still after the warm up. Sometimes starts right up but a few times it still turns slow (Like battery is dying) but the new starter powers through and it will fire up.

So I checked all wiring, replaced ground and relay to starter wire, replaced starter and still has a little symptoms left. That's where I think the timing comes into play.

Am I on track?

OK so, I'm in something deep... There is more problems with the Truck. I blew the main fuse and something else when I tried to start it after running to a job site. I replaced the main fuse and have power to the cab. There is a loose wire somewhere on the fuse panel... Can't find it now but I will. And now, there is a buzzing sound coming from either my distributor or ignition (can't tell) when ever I turn the key to the on position. When I try to start the truck there's no click, no sound, no anything. Did I miss a fuse or did I blow my relay as well.

Whats my next move. Seemed like I fixed the problem but she didn't like it and took a sh!t on my chest.

timing sounds like the issue

When the cylinders get hot, there is almost a predetonation occuring which is causing your engine to try to run backwards. If you have quite a few miles on the engine, your timing chain could be streched to its limits and the valve timing is all wrong.....you should have no more than .5 inch deflection (that is from one side to the other) in the slack on the chain.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts