Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

trans diag

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Not sure whether I have the 4r44 or a 4r55.

Anyway, my question is. Lost all forward gear, but still have a solid functioning reverse. I was thinking rebuild; however, did some research and came across a list of symptoms, aside from now no forward gear, pretty much the issues I was having.

If I figure out which solenoid is bad will that get the transmission operational again, or is the fact that I have no forward gear a sign that the internals are toast?

Fellro

Staff member
Normally, I would say the forward clutch pack is out, but with the electronic controls now, it is possible to have a bad solenoid. How does the fluid look? That should always be the first heck you do. You will end up having to pull the pan anyway, so it would be a good idea to get a look there as well, and see how much sediment you have. Not much, then it may not be the clutches after all.

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
When it went, it was functioning, from what I've read, first and reverse took rpms to engage, 2-3 was a long long gap, and when it stopped forward power it was from second to third, left second and then nothing. IIRC, the fluid was a bit dark but didn't smell abnormal.

Fellro

Staff member
If it were to hang such that it didn't properly apply them, it could.

Ford Truck Articles