Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

6.7 turbo

blacksnapon

Staff member
Doing the first work on a 6.7 other than oil changes. 85k miles, turbo went bad. A real PITA too!

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Ouch. Covered by warranty, I assume?

Fl.
I have been wanting a new f450 but I am waiting to see how this engine holds up. I will wait for the failures to trickle in and see from there. still stinging from the 6.0

blacksnapon

Staff member
I have been wanting a new f450 but I am waiting to see how this engine holds up. I will wait for the failures to trickle in and see from there. still stinging from the 6.0
Theres been some scattered instances of valve failures, nox sensors, and turbos, but nothing of the scope of 6.0.

Fl.
Thats good. I really hope it turns out to be a great engine. My 2000 7.3 is still running great.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Theres been some scattered instances of valve failures, nox sensors, and turbos, but nothing of the scope of 6.0.

What is up with the valve failures?

I guess I need to do a little reading about the 6.7.....I was sort of under the impression that one of the reasons the 6.7's fuel economy was improved over the 6.4 was that the urea took the place of the fuel consuming regeneration process....

blacksnapon

Staff member
I guess I need to do a little reading about the 6.7.....I was sort of under the impression that one of the reasons the 6.7's fuel economy was improved over the 6.4 was that the urea took the place of the fuel consuming regeneration process....
It uses both, but because of the urea, less regen is necessary.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Its been such a small amount that engineering is still investigating right now. Speculation had it that it was tied to heat variances (the 6.7 only uses 4 cylinders for regen).

It uses both, but because of the urea, less regen is necessary.

But enough regen to possibly cook a few valves. :wasntme: For all the books and money Ford spends on engineers you would think the engineers could grasp the basic concept that no motor ever likes wild temperature swings between cylinders. Most racers figured this basic motor trait out close to 50 years ago. I am sure the head gaskets like the temperature variance as well. :headbang:

blacksnapon

Staff member
But enough regen to possibly cook a few valves. :wasntme: For all the books and money Ford spends on engineers you would think the engineers could grasp the basic concept that no motor ever likes wild temperature swings between cylinders. Most racers figured this basic motor trait out close to 50 years ago. I am sure the head gaskets like the temperature variance as well. :headbang:
So far, its only been a few, and its the larger (450/550) chassis cabs. Its been such a small number that its difficult to pin down a cause.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
So far, its only been a few, and its the larger (450/550) chassis cabs. Its been such a small number that its difficult to pin down a cause.

Doesn't suprise me that it has been showing up more frequently on 450/550's since these tend to see more heavy use applications & high idle times, resulting in more regen cycles. They may be able to fix this by ceramic coating valves, heads etc., or if possible changing to using all cylinders for regen. Thought they may have learned the lessons of uneven heating that siamesed cylinders caused for example. Uneven heating cycles can cause a lot of problems to crop up.

Doing the first work on a 6.7 other than oil changes. 85k miles, turbo went bad. A real PITA too!

As you know brother, mine is in the shop right now. I know they just got the turbo in for it and he was going to start tearing it down this afternoon. My mech said he hasn't done a 6.7 yet. He is unsure if the intercooler and anything else is damaged yet. I saw some oil leakage around the exhaust which worries me a bit.

23K miles, Job 1 truck. Was getting off of the highway (off ramp) and pulling onto the road, pressed the pedal and saw smoke, heard a grinding/rattling noise and an absolute loss of power (with zero codes!). I think I shut her down quick enough that I didn't set off a code until at the dealer.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles