Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1970 F100 SWB CV/TBird build

Well the 4.10s are gone. Swapped them & the 31 spline Limited Slip for a 28 spline (for the IRS) Limited Slip & 3.55 gears. Got the Limited Slip tore down & spyders out. Took them & 1 from the open diff to the machine shop to have the groove machined into the Limited Slip gears that I need for the IRS. They told me a week so my little truck sits for a week while we wait impatiently. Bobby is running 3.50s with his 466/C6 so I figure I should be ok with the 3.55s although I really didn't mind the 3.08s.

Just when is the point when you decide this may not have been 1 of your better ideas?

001_-_Copy.JPG

002_-_Copy_%282%29.JPG

Just kidding. It really isn't that bad. It's the wait on the machine shop that has me stalled.

Picked up the spyder gears from the machine shop yesterday. They were good to me. Said take them & we will worry about cost later. I had read so much about how difficult it was putting the S Clip back in but it was no big deal. Line it up & give it a good wrap with a decent size hammer & in it went.

001_-_Copy_%282%29.JPG

002_-_Copy_%283%29.JPG

Need to get the pinion bearing finished & then put it all back into the truck.

Well it's official the 3.55s are in along with Limited Slip & the Holley 4bbl (750 cfm, vac secondaries & elec choke). All I can say is I love it. I don't even have the carb totally dialed in. I will get my wife to take some video. The carb made a big difference. You could hear it in the exhaust as soon as I started it. I think the 3.55s are perfect. My little truck will definitely plant you firmly in the seat.

Thought I would post a few pics of the progress on the '57 Fairlane dash modification & swap process. The glove box, ash tray, radio opening, clock opening, heater control opening & factory speaker opening all welded shut & smoothing process started. Building the lower slit that will be used as the vent now.

001%7E0.JPG

002%7E0.JPG

003%7E1.JPG

The original speaker hole (rectangular shape) was closed & 2 circular speaker holes created using the original grate as a cover.

004%7E0.JPG

Started on the hood today. Here are a few pics. I started with the original hood.

003%7E2.JPG

004%7E1.JPG

Some shots of how we will be cutting the web structure underneath. I did not get the top side pics today but will have some Monday. Just so everyone knows what the plan is I am raising the portion of the hood that is raised originally another 3/4". This will give the hood a very subtle cowl induction look maintaining all the factory lines. The hope is when finished it might look like Ford did this at the factory.

Across the front of the hood.

005%7E0.JPG

Down the left side.

006%7E0.JPG

Did get the braces cut today that will be welded in to hold the proper shape of the hood when it is cut apart.

007%7E0.JPG

008%7E0.JPG

Your really putting a lot of time into this. Thanks for the updates. Subscribed.
Would love to do the CV swap to my 77 F100.

What are your plans for the rear of the hood where it meets the cowl? Box it in solid or use a mesh or fully open?

Going to let the hood overhang the cowl area. It won't be much & the way the hinges work it should not create a problem. I have not thought about what to do with the rear of the hood yet. The original area will be there just moved rearward. Have been thinking about building some sort of air box for the air cleaner & connecting it all together as an actual functional cowl induction.

The top of the hood is tacked on now. Won't be long & it will be back on the truck. The tacks across the original seam are temporary. They will be removed & the seam in place when it is all finished.

002_-_Copy_%282%29%7E0.JPG

003_-_Copy_%283%29%7E0.JPG

004_-_Copy_%283%29%7E0.JPG

005_-_Copy_%282%29%7E0.JPG

006_-_Copy_%282%29%7E0.JPG

primetime

sawmill slave
Very nice. I`ve thought about doing the same thing with a 87-96 hood. Kudos.

Thanks. We have a '90 F150 & the thought has crossed my mind with it's hood as well but it is our truck not toy. If I ever do anything with it I will probably do the same thing again. I think Ford hoods are just asking for it.

All is well. We moved to southern MO to help care for my father & just now are getting back online. We entered the truck in a local show & got a 3rd. Not too bad considering everything they scored on were areas we have not touched yet.

Well here are some pics of the hood as it stands. It still needs finish work done so this is raw form. I am planning on making the Fordification show in Anderson, MO so anyone there can get a much closer look.

005_-_Copy_%282%29%7E1.JPG

006_-_Copy_%282%29%7E1.JPG

007_-_Copy_%282%29%7E0.JPG

008_-_Copy_%282%29%7E0.JPG

009_-_Copy_%282%29.JPG

When the truck is finished it will have 3/16"-1/4" gaps on all panels.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts