Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

ignition / key / steering column issue

I bought truck recently and it has new ignition switch but the housing and some of the parts behind ign cylinder are braken. The new ign switch worked for a couple of weeks and is now having issues. Sometimes when I turn key off it does not shutdown engine but it does shutdown tach and lights to dash. What could this be, my son says because the tach and lights at dash go out the ignition switch is working I do not know. Does anyone? See my pics of the housing for ignition and the small cog that sits behind the ign cylinder is broken nd keeper spring is missing. I have a used steering col on the way but I ned truck for work, anyone, see pics. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_5361.JPG
  • IMG_5364.JPG
  • IMG_5356.JPG
  • IMG_5354.JPG
  • IMG_5358.JPG
What year is the truck? That gear in the last photo has to be lined up exactly or the key switch won't be in unison with the ignition switch under the steering column which is probably what is contributing to your issue.

Big Jim F150

73-79 Ford Trucks Rock
Sounds like that truck is an 80 up be because 80 was the first year that the ignition switch is on the column, instead of the dash like on a Bump or a Dent for on my 78 and on the 77 I had the ignition switch was on the dash, which was rather simple, no hassle to replace it, where as the column mounted switch is a PITA as you well know.

Ford Truck Articles