Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Spark plug time

I really need to change the plugs on the 4.6 Triton. From my online research of this job, it is a chore (and a half!) And it's an expensive job to get the dealership to do from what people have posted. Any advice is much appreciated!! Or should I do myself a favour and just bring it in...?

thanks guys :wavey:

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
the 4.6 plug change on the rear plugs is a Bugger.
I created a few new curse words. cursed the engineering ideas of the idiots that designed it that way.
I think putting the wires back on was worse than the plug removal. If you have smaller arms and hands it might be easier but I have bigger hands and getting into some of the spots was trying to say the least.

blacksnapon

Staff member
to do the job, do everything that you've always been told not to do. warm the engine first, remove the pcm and bracket. with a 7mm socket, remove each coil.spray a little light oil in the plug hole. using an impact wrench and extension(yeah you read that right) remove the plugs. I guess it's the shock of the impact that releases them but they'll come out pretty easy. Now. remember, it's just the 3 valve engines that have this problem.

to do the job, do everything that you've always been told not to do. warm the engine first, remove the pcm and bracket. with a 7mm socket, remove each coil.spray a little light oil in the plug hole. using an impact wrench and extension(yeah you read that right) remove the plugs. I guess it's the shock of the impact that releases them but they'll come out pretty easy. Now. remember, it's just the 3 valve engines that have this problem.

Thank you Vince. Forgot to mention that my truck is a 2001 with the 4.6 Triton. I believe it is not the 3v engine, they came out in 2004?

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Oh boy...lol thank you Doug. Been putting this off for over a year, it really needs to be done.

I'm dreading changing the power steering pump on the not-ford. The local mechanic refused to do it. :suspicious:

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
I'm seeing why some times you might as well just pull the motor to do the work. Crazy!

Since I took my classics out, it has been a regular topic of conversation lately.....my POS plow truck is probably the most reliable (as far as DD drivers of course....my 77 and 79 would no doubt be the most reliable vehicles we own as far as dependability goes IMO) vehicle we use regularly.....everytime something goes down on it, the fix is CHEAP and QUICK.....anything happen in the Expi or KR and it's in a high priced shop for a week.

A friend of mine who works on large heavy equipment and trucks says he's only running the late model rigs for his business as they are EASY to fix and parts are EVERYWHERE and they're more RELIABLE......I think I'd live this philosophy with vehicles if the wifey didn't have to have the comforts the newer vehicles provide.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
The comforts are nice, Ken. I purchased a newer vehicle(Can't say what kind :D) to have as a work vehicle/daily driver. I paid cash for it, but I will be reimbursed for mileage when I start work in July. The '78 sits a lot now, which is probably good. When I do drive the '78, it is always a good feeling.

Since I took my classics out, it has been a regular topic of conversation lately.....my POS plow truck is probably the most reliable (as far as DD drivers of course....my 77 and 79 would no doubt be the most reliable vehicles we own as far as dependability goes IMO) vehicle we use regularly.....everytime something goes down on it, the fix is CHEAP and QUICK.....anything happen in the Expi or KR and it's in a high priced shop for a week.

A friend of mine who works on large heavy equipment and trucks says he's only running the late model rigs for his business as they are EASY to fix and parts are EVERYWHERE and they're more RELIABLE......I think I'd live this philosophy with vehicles if the wifey didn't have to have the comforts the newer vehicles provide.

Couldn't have said it better Ken! :)
but I'll add that the wife dislikes the smell from the exhaust, lol!
I said what smell....:scratch::D

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Couldn't have said it better Ken! :)
but I'll add that the wife dislikes the smell from the exhaust, lol!
I said what smell....:scratch::D

Unless it's a diesel anything, for many years now, properly running Fords don't really *stink* other than briefly after a cold start and *maybe* going up a hill with the pedal floored. Now on the other hand, getting behind a GM vehicle on a steep hill and especiall if it's floored or got a trailer behind it and ...... ewwwwwwww

Ford Truck Articles