Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Sudden oil leak

03 Big Red

True Believer
NC
It doesn't seem possible that an oil leak this serious can start so suddenly. Shortly after my truck turned over 300,000 miles I noticed a slight oil burning smell at startup. In almost no time it's progressed to the point where my undercarriage is covered in oil and I leave a cloud of smoke behind me for the first two miles I Drive every morning. It's coming from the rear of the engine so the obvious assumption is rear main seal. But, is it possible for a rear main seal leak to develop so quickly? I read something that said a malfunctioning EGR can cause high pressure which dislodges the oil pan gasket. That sounds pretty far-fetched but when I checked, my EGR hose was collapsed. Obviously, changing the oil pan gasket or the rear main seal is a big job. Is there a way to diagnose this oil leak so that I don't do the wrong repair.
Thanks for your help.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Clean everything up and watch were it is leaking from.
After 300,000 seals and gaskets dry out or get hard and Crack and can cause a big leak in a short time.
Is the smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe or is just burning off the manifolds or pipes?

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
^^^ This, and take a look at the oil pressure sending unit.

03 Big Red

True Believer
NC
Thanks. It's burning off the exhaust pipes. There are shields directly under the leak that seem to collect oil overnight.
Where is the pressure sending unit?

Ford Truck Articles