Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Humming sound

I've had an annoying humming sound coming from the engine compartment of my E350 for some time now. Its intermittent and I usually here it when idling at stop lights.
Tap the gas pedal and it goes away for a while.
Today I started looking and found it was coming from the air breather, so I took the air filter out and touched what I think is a sensor inside the housing and the sound went away but,
I think it went away because it also caused the engine to almost die for a second.
Anybody have this problem solved yet ?

You probably experienced the idle air control (IAC) valve act up. My 98 f150 did it a couple times. When it happens to me hitting the throttle makes it quit, some times the idle drops and then goes up and slowly settles down. The sensor inside the air filter housing is the Mass air flow sensor and blocking it will cause it to stall or stumble. Replacing the IAC valve will most likely cure the problem. It's mounted on the throttle body and usually not to hard to replace.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Thanks for the recommendation on the IAC. I changed it this morning and will let you know later if the humming stopped.
$ 64.00 at NAPA.

Have you tried prices at RockAuto.com? I've always had great luck getting parts (may not be top of the line or even American made) at half or even more off what a local parts store charges.

Recent example: rear strut assembly for my wife's exploder at local parts store $300.
Rockauto: $134

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
I'll have to check on that rockauto.
The humming noise is gone. I'm gonna miss those hummers.

Dang Mark....I've literally saved thousands of dollars by buying on here versus the local parts stores...I have so many stories!

I bought front shocks for my POS Dodge for $17/each, $7 shipping that the local NAPA tried charging my mechanic $100 for.

I'll have to check on that rockauto.
The humming noise is gone. I'm gonna miss those hummers.

Glad to hear that the IAC fixed the noise. We have often described that noise as a whale noise at the shop I work at. Seen it on many 4.6 crown vics.

Ford Truck Articles