Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Got the 'new' 400 in

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Well boys I thought I was gonna be cramped for time so I didn't take any pics...so no write up. However, it was extremely easy, if you can handle a hoist...you can do the swap.

To start off, had to find a hoist, the one I was gonna borrow ended up being in use. So it took a day to find one. I started off by painting the block, oil pan and heads Duplicolor Old Ford Blue from Napa. I did three light coats...shoulda gone a little heavier because there are already a few chips. I also got the Duplicolor Aluminum paint, and painted brackets, VC's and Tstat housing.

Then it was a matter unbolting the hood (4 bolts), taking out the radiator (6 bolts, 2 tranny lines), taking the fan off (4 bolts), unbolting the tranny (8 bolts), disconnecting the alternator and PS pump and disconnecting the exhaust. Then disconnected plugs (3 of them I think). Next, disconnected the trottle linkage, kickdown and pulled the carb. Also, don't forget to disconnect ground straps...I had 3 (dunno how many stock would have). Put the lift plate on and unbolted the engine mounts. Then did a little dance by lifting the tranny and hoisting the engine, and she was out.

Next I sourced the best of both engines. IE...coil, alternator, water pump, rotor/cap, flywheel etc.

Then swapped over lift plate and got the 'new' 400 into place. This step took a little more persuasion and was the most difficult part. Anyone who's done a swap knows getting everything lined up is the most annoying (TC/flexplate/dowl pins/mounts into perches)). So that took about an hour of finaggling (If anyone has any tips here, please share).

Then once she was into place, it was just a matter of bolting everything back up/in.

Now on to the 351M that was pulled...I knew she was in a sad state of affairs, and now I know why she was running so crappy. She ended up having 3 seriously bent pushrods and another that was completely disconnected. I'm assuming this is damage from my timing chain debachle. Not to mention the fact that two other pistons had completely trashed rings. So I was sorely disappointed in the fact that my mpg's were only around 14 on the highway...I thought 4 cylinders were supposed to get good gas mileage...haha. This probably also explains the estimated double digit hp numbers. And please no flaming, I knew the engine was in disarray, I just wasn't going to put the time and money into it to rebuild, and planned on running it into the ground...hence the reason I never threw my go fast parts into this engine.

Now on to the 'new' 400. I've put 500ish miles on it since the install. It still has a fuel delivery kink (I think), but that'll be another thread. Beyond that, she runs great. I couldn't believe how far off the carb adjustments were from the 351 to this thing was though...but I assume that was due to the fact that it was tuned as a bandaid on the 351. Anyway, the 400 has 60psi of oil pressure at start up and stays around 25-30psi at hot idle. Temp stays in the 180* range, however it did get warmer than usual through mountains, but nothing to be alarmed about, and I attribute that to not having a fan shroud. The thing has gobs more power...it won't lay a patch, but does power brake really well and can catch mean wheel around a corner. It does appear to have some flat spots in the power band, but I believe that is due to said fuel issue. It would appear that she tops out around 90mph...not a big top end improvement, but she gets there a whole lot faster.

Beyond that, I couldn't be happier. So any thoughts, tips, replies are wanted.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Jack the tranny up with a floor jack to help get it aligned. Ya have to do that with a stick to get the input shaft in the clutch. Ya didnt pull the converter off too did ya? Sounds like it went smooth for the most part.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Ben i always find it easier to unbolt the trans from the crossmember, that way you can work the transmission around too... Just a little tip for ya...

Now you tell me...haha. Thanks Don, and dually noted.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Glad to hear everything went off with out a hitch...
About your fuel delivery problem... Did you check your fuel pressure regulator?
Maybe check the fuel filter too...
Easy cheap things to look at and change...

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Dan does bring a good point, jacking up the trans can help too, but i hardly ever remember to do that until im done, then i think... It would have been easier if i would have jacked up the trans...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Jack the tranny up with a floor jack to help get it aligned. Ya have to do that with a stick to get the input shaft in the clutch. Ya didnt pull the converter off too did ya? Sounds like it went smooth for the most part.

That's what I did...but I could only achieve so much lift with a floor jack, considering 4" of lift and 35's. Technically, I did pull the TC, but it was to change flywheels...but I put it back on. It would be nearly impossible, or you'd have to be extremely lucky to leave the TC on the input shaft and get everything to line up...wouldn't you? So any time I've been involved in a swap, I leave it on the back of the engine.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Did ya have any wood stacked on it? Theres just four little bolts that hold the converter to the flywheel. Its easy to line it up cause ya just spin the motor over with a screwdriver on the flywheel till ya lines the holes up.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Glad to hear everything went off with out a hitch...
About your fuel delivery problem... Did you check your fuel pressure regulator?
Maybe check the fuel filter too...
Easy cheap things to look at and change...

Fuel filter is brand new, and swapped a couple of them that are less than 2 months old...same problem. Fuel pressure regulator...these things have those? Either way, I'm gonna start a new thread for the trouble shooting later tonight. This thread was more of a 'look what I did' with pictureless tech.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
wow ben, you did do it the hard way... leave the converter on the trans....
Much easier that way. then you only have to line up the dowels on the bell housing and once thats good, you spin the motor over like dan said to align the converter bolts...

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Fuel filter is brand new, and swapped a couple of them that are less than 2 months old...same problem. Fuel pressure regulator...these things have those? Either way, I'm gonna start a new thread for the trouble shooting later tonight. This thread was more of a 'look what I did' with pictureless tech.

I always thought they did...
:headbang:
Could be wrong though...
How's the carb? Is it new was it rebuilt?
Electric of mechanical fuel pump?

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Gotta wacth for the plug though I made the mistake of pullin it out one time and got covered in tranny fluid. There aint a regulator on em Id say its either the pumps bad or the carb needs a rebuild.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Did ya have any wood stacked on it? Theres just four little bolts that hold the converter to the flywheel. Its easy to line it up cause ya just spin the motor over with a screwdriver on the flywheel till ya lines the holes up.

Yeah...I had wood...still was trouble. What I ended up doing was prying the engine into the mount holes...and at that time, the dowls were about a .5" high, so I hooked up a chain to the waterpump to drop the rear, and she went into place.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
wow ben, you did do it the hard way... leave the converter on the trans....
Much easier that way. then you only have to line up the dowels on the bell housing and once thats good, you spin the motor over like dan said to align the converter bolts...

Damn...that's just the way I've always seen it done...so that's the way I did it.

I always thought they did...
:headbang:
Could be wrong though...
How's the carb? Is it new was it rebuilt?
Electric of mechanical fuel pump?

Only reason these things need a regulator is if you're getting more than 6-8psi. Carb is 2 years old. It's a mechanical fuel pump...had an electric on it...but that's another thread I was gonna start.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts