Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Code 18? 87 Ranger 2.9....

Truck was running fine but now it seems doggy.

Pulled codes, got Code 18 and 33.

18 is a continuous memory code "Spout Grounded/IDM fault/no tach signal"

33 is a EGR stuck open code.

Not super concered with the EGR, thats easy enough to fix...

The 18 has me bugged though. Im wondering if its doggy cause the timing isnt advancing properly. That being said i pulled the SPOUT connector and went for a drive, i was floored at 55 and had to shift to 4th on any kind of a hill (much worse), so maybe the code 18 isnt a cause for concern?

Also, the green wire broke off the coil plug, i jammed it in just to get by for now, but according to the wireing diagram that ties into the Spout wireing. Could that be causing that code? Truck ran great for a while like that.

Or, do you think the EGR is whats causing the power issues? The pipe is broke and the EGR isnt closing (according to the computer)....

Truck runs fine, smooth, doesnt miss or anything, just feels nutless compared to what it did.

Any help please?

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
The way to cure this is as follows:

*Fix any and all problems discovered during a visual inspection (ex, this "green wire", broken pipes, etc and everything else related to the engine/emission system management). Clear codes, do a proper drive cycle, check for codes. If codes come after this drive cycle......

* Fix codes in the following sequence: KOEO, KOER and CM. It is imperative that you follow this sequence starting with the lowest code # in each group (ex, KOEO) and fix that code before moving on to the next one.

*** The above process is how a qualified Ford service department or any competent shop would go about fixing it 30ish years ago. Knowing this, it can be concluded that the CM code noted above is actually of no value whatsoever at this time, as well as a course of action to take.

Good info!

Ok, i did fix the EGR stuff today. The plenum side as well as the valve were totally packed with carbon, i also repaired the pipe, and no more EGR codes...

18 is still the only code left. Ill get that green wire fixed properly and go from there.

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Good job! Remember, clear codes after making a repair, drive (adequate time/distance too), check for codes. Repeat process until code free condition is attained.

Ford Truck Articles