Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

What shall I do!!

What shall I do?

• 400 FTW

Votes: 22 55.0%
  • 460 FTW

Votes: 18 45.0%

• Total voters

gsxr1238

Be fast.....or be last.
Be different and build the 400.Lot of potential in that engine with some coaxing.Read on another site that T.Meyer is thinking about selling 400 blocks with complete machinig for $599.00.That would be a sweet deal!

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
If I needed a smaller package or needed to save a little weight, I'd build the 400. Other than that, I'd go 460.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Are you saying you have a large package??'badachang'

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
if i had the money, i would built a 434 screamer, imagin one of those with chi 4v heads...

a 460 has better stroker packages yes, but head flow on a cleveland based head is way better, im asuming even aftermaket heads available for celvelands are way better, so yes cubes are a gain but how fast can you move a big rottating assembly with not so good flowing heads(not so good in comparison to a cleveland head), so whats a 4.125 stroke moving at 7k rpm with an enginered aluminum based cleveland head? still good torque and amazing top end hp.... and good price i might add:434: 2500 stroker kit + 1500 chi bare heads + 1000 in goodies... would a 460 stroker with all strong parts inculded be cheaper? I really dont know... thats were i would look...

I agree...that is the route I am going...plus it is an uncommon engine.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I've been spending some time reading Tim Meyers Inc. 400 engine build.
And after seeing the HP and TQ he is getting out of these engines on 87 pump in the rpm range that is perfect for a truck a 460 build is starting to look less appealing.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Not to mention the fact that there will be no screwing around with different engine mounts and the weight savings.

havi

third member
Finally coming around, are ya? :D

havi

third member
Strange, it shows a post today at 8:32pm, on my subscribed threads list. I see no post, lol. But anyway, yeah, I'm a fan of the 400....because I'm one to root for the underdog.

nevrenufhp

California Chapter member
I'm also for the unsung heros. That's why I say 400. The rpm range makes it a monster for a pickup. Saves money if you already have it. I hear there's a place in the states that sells the Aussie 2V heads for $350 pair. Good bang for the buck. My other favorite is a 300, even though i'm swapping it out soon. Then again a stroker kit for a 460 will get way more tork than a 400.:headbang:

occupant

Occupant Ilied Industries
So is it built, are you picking up parts, what's the status? I would have liked to see a 400/434 stroker. TMI really has the market on 400 aftermarket parts and he's put together some absolute screamers in the last decade or so. I thought about doing just that with my tired worn-out 351M but then I found a 351CJ for dirt cheap and it sounds so good in my Torino that I'll just stick with that.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
So is it built, are you picking up parts, what's the status? I would have liked to see a 400/434 stroker. TMI really has the market on 400 aftermarket parts and he's put together some absolute screamers in the last decade or so. I thought about doing just that with my tired worn-out 351M but then I found a 351CJ for dirt cheap and it sounds so good in my Torino that I'll just stick with that.

This is what he did:

http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23546

Ford Truck Articles