Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Follow Along As I Build A 400

Maybe... I didn't have a thermostat in it just a fender washer in place of the thermostat with a 1" hole in it. The idea was to slow the water down enough to cool it and keep it from getting air bound. Guess I should have went with a smaller hole i don't know. Today I'm going to put a 165* thermostat in and run it some more before I change the oil see what happens who knows maybe the radiator is clogged some????

hmm, In most engines tsats only help engines get warmer, ive heard a lot of builders in forums say its absolutely nessesary in a 335 series enginez cuz it helps cool the back cyllinders..
People around here trash em due to the temp (100 degrees)... I myself experimented without one and ended up having air pockets in the rear cyllinders..

hmm, In most engines tsats only help engines get warmer

I found this... good read and keep in mind the 400 has a bypass system. I put a thermostat in yesterday but it was not a bypass tstat, it looked like a normal everyday tstat... I'm on the hunt this morning for the right one...
http://www.are.com.au/feat/techt/thermostat.htm

learn something new everyday!!!!!

It's late so I'll give you this to look at... Eric was more than happy with the motor, he's going to change the 205 transfer case for a 208 and that should keep the rpms up in the deep mud.

Just a note you have to use a bypass tstat in a 351M/400 or it wont cool properly and 3 out of 4 stores I went too sold the wrong one for a 351M/400, it was not a bypass.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
Good job! Nothing like the sound of a 400 at full throttle!!!

I just pick one up, I got some 74 351C 2V heads just like the ones I used in this build, .030 351M pistons that my machinist buddy is going to let me mill down on his Bridgeport. Going to start looking for some pedestal mount roller rockers and intake. For a cam I'm going to step it up a few notches to 6500rpms. This will have to wait until I'm done with the 351W I'm building but for know I'm stocking parts for it.

It's late so I'll give you this to look at... Eric was more than happy with the motor, he's going to change the 205 transfer case for a 208 and that should keep the rpms up in the deep mud.

Just a note you have to use a bypass tstat in a 351M/400 or it wont cool properly and 3 out of 4 stores I went too sold the wrong one for a 351M/400, it was not a bypass.

Yup, i read alot on the subject, they confuse windsor tstats with the bypass one because the reference number is almost identical:
windsor motorcraft rf # 1139
335 motorcraft rf # 139

see the mix up?

I sure do...........

i talked him into a Holley 750 big difference

Broke the front drive shaft...

Last edited:
Priming the oil system

Here's another video of my 351Clevor.. In this video the system is dry I just added oil and started turning the drill (CCW). You can see how long it takes for the oil to reach the rockers.

Your crank is not cross drilled so if you are not useing full groove main bearings you should turn the crank a cupple times to be sure every rod throw gets oil. Run the drill till you feel resistance, then turn the crank. Run it again then stop. Excessive priming will wash away all the assembly oil.

I like to make sure the rockers are getting oil, I lube everything real good never had a problem been doing it this way for years...

Ford Truck Articles