Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

The 'New' 400

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I wouldn't remove the front clip personally. I've seen it suggested a bunch of times, but removing just the hood is more than enough room. If you want the truck lower so the engine clears the rad. support deflate the front tires.

Try this Ben:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G1015/

Thanks man...appreciate the link. The only reason I was gonna take the front off was for a little more room and so I wouldn't have to go so high...then I got thinking about it and figured I'd just take the front tires off completely and support it.

Yeah...that's what I wanted.

So does anyone else besides Mark think it would be a bad idea to lift the engine with an aluminum intake...or should I be fine?

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
So does anyone else besides Mark think it would be a bad idea to lift the engine with an aluminum intake...or should I be fine?

Well!!
I dont see it as being a issue i've watched many a install/uninstall were they picked up by the manifold, as long as you use good bolts and tighten them up good I dont see you having a problem.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
Lifting the engine by the intake has worked for years, but it always scares me. A whole engine that weighs 600+ lifted by 4 5/16" studs/bolts? Just make sure that the hardware that you're using is up to the task.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Well!!
I dont see it as being a issue i've watched many a install/uninstall were they picked up by the manifold, as long as you use good bolts and tighten them up good I dont see you having a problem.

Ben, the add from jegs says it'll work with aluminum intakes. with the transmission attached.

Alright...thanks fellas...never used a lift plate...so I'm nervous about it, and wanted to make sure it would be alright.

Lifting the engine by the intake has worked for years, but it always scares me. A whole engine that weighs 600+ lifted by 4 5/16" studs/bolts? Just make sure that the hardware that you're using is up to the task.

Yeah...that's my thinking as well

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
It should be fine lifting by the intake. If it makes you nervous then go with a chain, but since you aren't pulling the trans with it (at least that is what I am assuming) you should have no trouble lifting from the intake. Personally I have not used one of those plates but it does look like it is easier to get the engine lined up right than with a chain.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
I lifted my 390 out by the aluminum intake tons of times without a problem. I use some Bowman bolts that my dad has layin around. Just make sure ya get em in quite a ways.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts