Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

New clutch? or Tranny swap?

Clutch is going out on 300 I-6 with three speed tranny. I can replace the clutch myself, but was thinking of possibly converting it to automatic. What automatic transmissions came from the factory in a 1977 F100?

radialarm

Clown of Death!
I'm not a historian, but I would imagine it was the C6.

Thanks, guys. Any chance that you may know if all C6 autos are the same? Or do I have to find one that came out of a TRUCK?

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
you'll need one that came out of a truck that had a 240 I6, 300 I6, 302, 351W. which you can get the tranny out of any year truck that pretty much came with a C6 like all the way up till i think 88 or 89.

You will need one from a 77 or earlier as the NSS changed positions in 78.

In 1977 and earlier ..They also used C4's back then 300's and 302's

Thanks for all the info. Gotta side-step the whole new clutch idea for now. Cracked block on the passenger side, leaking water everywhere. I'll start a new thread for details.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
you'll need one that came out of a truck that had a 240 I6, 300 I6, 302, 351W. which you can get the tranny out of any year truck that pretty much came with a C6 like all the way up till i think 88 or 89.

They'll physically bolt up, but there are differences after 77. Also don't forget there are differences between 2 and 4wd trannies.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts