Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Canopy project

Picked up a thirdsmilieFordlogo factory canopy . It's condition is about the best that can be expected for the year. paid $100. I'll probably paint the blue stripe to match my truck. ( like the red in the next picture )

001-14.jpg

The second one was being used but not now that I found the third. Paid $20. , But the fiberglass is in good shape so It'll be given away or trashed. I also have side glass but no rear door.

broncoII-van001-1.jpg

The first one came with my truck had several cracks but all the hardware is in excellent condition so I'm using it on the third . And trashing the rest.

And for those that think these are heavy duty, your wrong . They're flimsey and the glass windows is what makes it heavy.. Here's me carrying the third out to the trash. ( with no glass)

007-1.jpg

Does anybody know how to duplicate the splatter finish thats on these ? Theres some bare spots on top.
009.jpg

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
I wish I had 3 canopies! :D

As for the splatter finish, there is a textured spray you can purchase just about anywhere.... Check WalMart.

They do make a splatter pain in spray bombs

Try a paint store or a NAPA auto paint store

That can't be a Ford canopy.. You can lift it by yourself.

My OEM Canopy takes 4 guys to lift and carry it

with all the glass in it and the door attached of course

The deluxe model with interior lighting. Should have screens on it as well. Not that it matters to you but I have the original wiring harness from the truck to the topper, just need to find a topper.

001-14.jpg

Getting ready for paint,possibly next week
001-15.jpg

I was able to get the metal backing plates out of the corners by heating up the adhesive with a paint stripper.
003-8.jpg

004-6.jpg

Put them in a bucket of muriatic acid for 1 1/2 hours
006-5.jpg

After a little paint stripping and rustoleam
001-17.jpg

I did the same thing with the 4 metal bars that hold the door.

Looks great !

Lacquer thinner and a wire wheel is easier.
Wear a mask with either chemical

acid fumes can kill

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Mark...what kind of caulk are you using on your canopy? And what kinda paint are you using?

I'm pretty sure I was just as giddy as you the day my canopy was painted like yours only with silver not blue

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
How did I miss this?! Looks great! Where's mine???

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

Ford Truck Articles