Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Slider window

I recently purchased a brand new rear slider window for my 74 ranger xlt i would like to know how hard will it be to take the solid window out and put in the slider? also what tools would i need?

blacksnapon

Staff member
Start inside at the top of the "gasket" at one corner. Pushing out slightly, use a flat implement (I just use screwdrivers) to curl the gasket over the pinch weld. Work your way around.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Yeah it easy,even easier to put back in. Wrap a chord around the gasket and position the windowface. Have a helper hold it, pull the chord and it will pop the seal in place.

Last edited:
They can be a pina even when you know what your doing. The old seal might have to be cut to get it out. I suggest searching youtube to see if any body has posted a video on it.

Fellro

Staff member
They generally aren't bad, but as mentioned, if by chance the seal is hard, could be a bit of a trick. I haven't generally had a problem, even with trucks that have sat around for many years.

For the most part, this is how it works. He does things pretty well, but is using a panel remover tool to pry on it, he even says he doesn't recommend that part... lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW-2PD-hcCM&feature=relmfu

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
It's true that the window was the same from 73-95, but I belive the older windows had thicker glass than the new ones. I've heard that if you're putting a newer window in an old truck to make sure that you order the correct gasket for the year of the WINDOW not the year of the truck, so that it will seal properly.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts