Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

I am as rusty as my new truck!

Picked up a '78 F2504x4 extended cab from a buddy that needed cash. This truck has been sitting for years. I put a new H.E.I. dist on it, fresh 2bbl, flushed out the fuel tank, changed the oil and squirted lubricant in all of the spark plug holes, as well as dumping oil through both valve covers.

I can only get it to start by jumping the new solenoid. (it runs smooth)
My next step is to replace the ignition switch, unless I have forgotten something. (hence the "I'm rusty" comment)

I cannot get it to stay running, so my next step there, is to make sure it is getting an adequate fuel supply.

Any tips on the ignition problem?

Thank you in advance.

mm_0_mm

Kansas Chapter member
I would check simple things like the neutral start switch before replacing any parts...if you have a voltmeter, check for 12v on the small connector closest to the firewall with the key in crank.

when you say jumping the solenoid, are you jumping from the battery post to the first small post, or jumping across both large lugs?

can you elaborate on "cannot get it to stay running"? does it run for a few seconds, does it stop as soon as you quit cranking???

Large posts.

I am jumpning the large posts. The small terminal next to the pos. battery cable
is getting 12v, with as little checking as I did, the small terminal next to the starter cable did not have 12v. (these are the terminals on the solenoid).

The truck is a 4 spd granny, and I tried starting with the clutch in as well. Is there a switch on the trans?

I pour a little fuel in the carb and it will run until it runs out of fuel.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
It's a good read....goes step by step :)

Big Jim F150

73-79 Ford Trucks Rock
Try checking your fuel pump to see if it's functioning, for if it runs when you pour gas down the carburetor, and it doesn't run when you don't put gas down the carburetor, you might want to check the fuel line between the fuel pump and carburetor to see if it's clogged. My recommendation is to install an inline fuel filter. Another thing you might to check is your HEI distributor for a bad pickup wheel , for that is what was wrong with mine, for new parts can be bad, and your ignition switch could be faulty. How's your battery cables? Are they clean or are they corrodes? You might want check those things too. Hopefully this will be helpful to you.smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo those are just my thoughts on your problem.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
He says it runs smoothly when the solenoid is bypassed...so it is getting fuel and spark.

Sorry guys!

It does indeed run smooth, until the fuel I pour in runs out. I cut the fuel line between the fuel pump and carb and put an inline filter in it (the line was empty, dry). I have not tried to crank it since.

I am having to borrow the battery out of my 73 F250 so this project is on hold for now. I believe the fuel pump is bad.

I have a '74 F100 for donor parts and am going to try to swap ign. switches. They may not interchange, as the plug on the 78 looks different. I'll know more tomorrow if I get time.

Thanks for all of the help, FOT

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Suction line to the fuel pump may be bad as well. I usually try starting project cars/trucks out of a 5 gal can until I know if the fuel lines are clear from dirt or holes.
Just run a hose from the suction side of the pump down into the can sitting on the ground.

Is the small wire on the solenoid hooked up where the small post is marked "S" ?
If not, the starter will not work

Big Jim F150

73-79 Ford Trucks Rock
The switch plugs are different on the 73-77s from the 78s , I know this from when had to put an ignition switch in the 77 F-350 I had and the only switch that I could find was out of a 78 and that was a job because I had to graft the 78 plug to the 77 wiring, so my thoughts are take your switch out of the 78 and go order one from your local auto parts store that's what I had to for my 78 when I had issues, and while you're the check out a new fuel pump, for they're not that expensive, I had put one on my 78 and it cost me about $20.00 for mine. Hopefully you find this helpful to you, and check out the things that
Dustyybumpers told you to check, for I also agree with him on those.smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo

You guys are the best!

The wire from the solenoid was broken, starter works well now. I put air pressure to the fuel tank and have fuel coming out of the inlet hose to the fuel pump. Now I am trying to research my spare new fuel pumps I have for my FE engines to see if one will work on this 400.

Big Jim F150

73-79 Ford Trucks Rock
The FE engines are different from the 351M / 400 engines. The fuel pump bolts for the 351M / 400 engines are on the top and bottom of the pump, and one of the holes is a notch so you can position it. The 351M / 400 are the M Series engines which Ford introduced in the 77 model year, and FE engine is another engine family, which the last year of production for the 360 / 390 is the 76 model year. So my advice is get a fuel pump from the local auto parts store, if they don't have one for you, they can order one for you, and it would take about a day or two to get it, and it would be the right one for your engine, the fuel pump for the 351M / 400 is both the same pump, I put a new fuel pump on my 78 F-150 Ranger Lariat with the 351M / 400. So give them a shot. Hopefully you find this helpful to you.smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo

headed to the parts store tomorrow.

I was all happy to find my spare fuel pumps, only to find out they would not work. As the previous poster stated. bolt positions are opposite of each other, and the lever is longer as well. It was worth a try.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Rock auto shows a pierce pump part # 41450 for $13.34
Airtex pump part # 6007 for $13.65
Carter #M6882 for $15.54

These are for the rear wheel drive trucks.

Big Jim F150

73-79 Ford Trucks Rock
Fatheroftwo, how are you coming along with trying to find a fuel pump for your truck? I don't think that there is any difference in the fuel pumps for the four wheel drive and two wheel drive trucks, as long as it's for the 351M / 400 engines for they're the M-Series engines. Hopefully you find this helpful to you, and I hope to hear that you got that bad boy running. You've shown some serious perseverance on this project. Keep up the good work. smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo

Ford Truck Articles