Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > F-Series > Generation 6

Generation 6 1973-1979 F100, F150, F250, F350

Old 08-23-2018, 09:01 AM

jssjr5591 is on a distinguished road
Instrument Cluster Back

My next project just got started with an order from Dennis Carpenter for the plastic piece behind instrument cluster. My is pretty much crumbling. I am not sure if I need bulbs but hopefully I will be able to purchase them locally. If anyone has any suggestions or has done a replacement, I would like to hear their experiences. I know one problem already is removing the heater knobs. The headlight knob someone gave me a tip on release from behind dash and the wiper knob slides off easily. I am guessing it will be at least a week before my part arrives. Thanks for any info.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2018, 10:07 AM
Arrogant A-hole At-Large

LEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond repute
The wiper knob and heater knobs actually have a lock spring, if they slide on and off, they're broken. Otherwise, you'll need a 90* pick to depress the springs. The head light switch does have a push button release on the TOP of the actual head light switch behind the dash, a real pain in the dick to get to.

Then from there...no better time than now to do and LED bulb upgrade...if I remember right, you'll want the 192's.

'77 250 400 Boggers (show)__'96 350 CC 460 SSR's (work)__'79 Bronco 400 35's (play)

Quote:
Inspired by Ian
We live in a society that keeps finding answers to problems people never knew they had.
I bow my head to Jesus, stand for my family, love only one woman, and am always proud of what I have.

Standing by my gun and Bible since 1986.

Ben
Old 08-23-2018, 08:20 PM

Thank you. The wiper knob is broken and I have a replacement. The headlight knob I can release from behind dash. I need to remove the knobs of the heater, defrost and fan controls. I am hoping they just pull off with enough force. Thanks again. I will look into the bulbs too.
Old 08-23-2018, 08:26 PM

Forgot to say the truck is a 1977 F-150 Custom with a 3 speed automatic 4.9 liter straight 6 cylinder engine. Only have fuel gauge and temperature gauge. Rest are warning lights.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:28 PM
Tonto Papadapolous

fatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond repute
The same lock springs apply to the heater knobs. Use a 90 deg pick or a small screwdriver to pull the spring toward you and the knobs will slide off. The trick is to figure out which side of the knob the spring lock is facing. If you look behind the knob, you can generally tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john112deere
I think the lens of time is required to differentiate between the real milestones, and the detours along the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxlh View Post
Strippers, ammo and SKS, wow, that is almost sig worthy!!
Old 08-24-2018, 07:57 AM
owned by Fords

dustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond repute
Use a small mirror to peek back there, you can see the divit where you need to put the pick

Don't just yank it off you'll break it
Old 08-24-2018, 02:35 PM

Thank you both.
Old 08-24-2018, 06:50 PM

Well just looking at things now. There are 2 different options. With my luck, I have ordered the wrong part.
Old 08-25-2018, 08:58 AM
Tonto Papadapolous

fatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by jssjr5591 View Post
Well just looking at things now. There are 2 different options. With my luck, I have ordered the wrong part.
That is true. One cluster with warning lights, and one with gauges. The one with warning lights has a smaller connecter that fits into the back of the cluster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john112deere
I think the lens of time is required to differentiate between the real milestones, and the detours along the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxlh View Post
Strippers, ammo and SKS, wow, that is almost sig worthy!!
Old 08-26-2018, 10:32 AM

Got my part yesterday. Have not opened because I am pretty sure I ordered wrong part and wil have to pay for shipping return and still have to order right part and pay for shipping. Lesson learned in not knowing what I needed. I will callthem tomorrow abut return.