Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

6.0 Tear Down

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
got the passenger side fender in.. vacuum box back in.. air filter in.. put the upper fuel filter in and replaced the lower one (always hate that one).. reconnected the ABS sensor.. then the lights went out..

now i just gotta get the trans cooler lines modified.. then refill the oil, add water and flushing agent to the cooling system.. put the batteries in.. prime the fuel system.. adjust the regulator.. start her up and see if she goes..

once i get it moved ill be able to do the fuel system modding too...

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
got it all back together but now it wont start... spent an hr trying to figure out what i missed.. couldnt find a thing... timing shouldnt have changed as i didnt pull the crank or cam... i have no clue where to look... took a video but by time the video was taken it was at the point where the batteries were starting to run down.. but it cranked like this the whole time...

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
ITS ALIVE!!!!! ITS ALIVE!!!!! muahahahah

frank-pic-6.jpg

took 4 batteries jumped together to get it crank fast enough to build the pressure..

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
doing the math for the batteries... (mind you this estimates for perfectly 100% good batteries so will be high) i was pushing 2800 CA to that starter... but i know that the 2 in the truck even though they were replaced in Sept havent been acting like theyre still new.. the one battery i had connected as a jump battery was from dads truck.. he had to replace it with another because it wasnt wanting to hold a charge for awhile.. dont know why.. but works ok now...

the other jumper battery was my jump box i bought to keep with my s10.. (that thing ate batteries like a kid in a candy store..) at the time it carried 550CA when i bought it.. and i keep it maintained with a full charge once a month like the instructions said...

so on "perfect" battery estimate.. (new battery estimate) the ones in the truck are supposed to output 800 CA each... the one from dads truck was rated for 850.. + the 550 from the jump box...

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
i swear it never fails...

image_zpsa18vveua.jpg

went to drain the water and flush stuff from the engine.. only to have the fricken head snap off... and i wasnt even using any tools on it.. just fingers... $4.00 down the drain..

but anyways pulled the plug on the driver side of the engine.. along with the starter to get to the passenger side one.. put them back then pulled the coolant filer..

image_zpstniuup9p.jpg

image_zpsz0tqiynv.jpg

cant wait to take my electric can opener to it and see whats inside.. hehe...

image_zpscr2ptacr.jpg

new ones on and lookin shiney....

image_zpsvzw3u1eg.jpg

image_zpsntpobywq.jpg

5.5 gallons out.. think the last bits hiding in the heater core...

image_zpscflngfcj.jpg

this lil bug cam and sat near me for quite awhile was still there when i finished cleaning up...

Last edited:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Hey Shawn, did you do post a thread on that coolant filter install?

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
will have to look.. think i did but not sure..

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
finally finished the cooling flushing... then refilled it...

got out my electric can oper to see what all was inside the filter..

image_zpstm0qsiva.jpg

nice can opener huh?? lol

image_zpsguwzo6bb.jpg

yucky filter...

image_zpsec8npmhk.jpg

being that this is the 3rd filter to come off this truck... im surprised this much came out of it..

image_zpsfkwor4gd.jpg

what i replace it with.. Meets CAT-EC1 Requirements.. PowerStroke Performance guys said its supposed to be better than the MC gold and Valvoline G-O5.. way people talk about them theyre supposed to be the know all guys to talk to on the 6.0 6.4 engines..

image_zpsa0wftsjb.jpg

nature even sent me another supervisor today too..

image_zpsnlsb99f9.jpg

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
image_zpsj2wpdzdu.jpg

:cooldude: some of our FTF truckers might recognize this :cooldude:

image_zpsbr2xs339.jpg

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
image_zps4bghrnaq.jpg

straight ones on the left...

image_zpsqzynapcy.jpg

straight ones on top...

knew a couple were bent.. figured id check to see how much they bent

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
found my exhaust leak today... truck managed to blow the up pipes partially off where it connected to the turbo.. that was fun trying to fix... had to unbolt the turbo to twist it enough to remate with the up pipe...

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
That sounds like too much fun Shawn.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
fun is not how id actually describe it...

will be glad when i finish it off... gotta finish putting my fuel pressure gauge in.. and now i gotta fix the tranny temp sensor cuz when i was searching for the bolt i dropped down the back side of the engine the wires for it caught my arm and ripped the connectors apart from the wires.. boooo... might have to rewire both sides now cuz i dont think i have anymore of the kind that was there to begin with...

also need to get in the brakes fixed... and finish off my fuel return mod..

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I'm sure you will be glad when all is done and it's running well!

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
that i will...

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
image_zpsqeqkyd4q.jpg

it moved a couple feet..

image_zpsz9dicwqf.jpg

image_zpstpgoleaw.jpg

home fixed my melted coolant line...

image_zpseet9c6yx.jpg

installed my emergency return fuel line as well

image_zpsmpchugxw.jpg

image_zpskjv5tmdi.jpg

image_zpst91r0z3w.jpg

like my hand bent line??

image_zpsayw29njg.jpg

image_zpswsqjeov2.jpg

where its going to dump back into the tank..

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts