Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Axle seals on the 750

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Seems a combination of age and the cold has taken a toll on the spindle axle seals. When I had the safety done in Nov, I had them do some routine maintenance, part of that was replacing the planetary fluids.

It's been my experience that whenever I've done it or had it done in the past, it tends to blow out the vents and cover the tires....even worse with synthetic.
I did notice it and chalked it up to the vents....not so...closer investigation a couple of weeks ago shows the axle seals leaking.

I call Marmon-Herrington to get the seals....they don't sell parts anymore, have to go through an authorized stocking distributor.

OK....no big deal I think....who is such a dealer up here I ask.

Get told it is Paccar or Freightliner. I called Paccar first...two locations...what a $$$$ing fiasco and waste of time....eventually I get cost and availability...have to fly two of the seals in...get an estimate of $200...are they insane?!?!

Wound up calling Freightliner.....had 4 of the 6 pieces I need in stock and had to fly 2 pieces in (from Louisville) for $50....much more reasonable.

In any case, truck booked in next week for that along with air dryer and the mystery flickering CEL.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Heavy trucks are constant maintainance.

Somewhat I guess, I was thinking that myself....but really it is 10 years old and there has been minimal really needed doing. I think the cold this year coupled with the fact that I was driving it in the cold didn't help much.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
2 felt seals, 2 regular seals and 2 cassette seals....$650...:headbang:

Welcome to Canada eh?

Dropped truck off this morning.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Hmmmmm.....it appears that the oil has been leaking from the vent tubes....which is kinda baffling as I did look there myself...perhaps I do need glasses after all.

When the planetaries get filled (2 qts) each they tend to blow some oil out of the tubes, it's done that from day one and you are advised to clean the tubes as a vicious circle of them having a reduced area to vent and pressure building up results in more oil expelled...you get the idea.

I have never bothered cleaning them as the oil stops fairly quickly....after talking with M-H this morning, we are figuring that the cold this year coupled with them being right made for a bad combination....the oil thickened right up in the cold....plugged the tube...then built up pressure and expelled the fluid...and of course being synthetic it runs brutally.

We will see what happens.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Vent tube have been modified and 18'' added to them, we will see if that is/was the problem.
Just drove it home and there appears no leaking.

Air dryer was cracked where the intake line attached, real hard to see it even when it was out on the bench.

The mystery flickering CEL is still a mystery, getting an immediate code of low current on the intake manifold heater, I will investigate.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
DSCF5244.JPG

Where the brass fitting is in this picture is where the vent top (above pic) was.

DSCF5245.JPG

DSCF5246.JPG

primetime

sawmill slave
Well, that price doesn`t really surprise. I don`t imagine there is a lot of those axles out there. Kind of makes him a special little snowflake.

And a little off topic... A log truck I haven`t seen in a while pulled in earlier this week. He has a Western Star with a picture of Garfield and "Fat cat 600" on the hood. Well I`m walking out to scale him, and I notice it now says Fat cat 700. So I said "turned your $$$$$ up did ya?" He laughed.

Anywho, I thought you might get a kick out of that Duncan. It was funnier in person.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Too funny Justin....and I $$$$$ed about the price as the last time I looked into it when you could buy direct from Marmon it was about 60% cheaper.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
It was some corporate decision...my corporate decisions generally involve steak, alcohol and good things for all....[confused]

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Godammit....spindle seals are leaking after all.... I didn't think I was that much of a gluehead....truck going back in later this week.
Knuckles have to be removed....I'll ask him to take pics.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
On the plus side, I have the seals....:rofl: :rofl:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Dropped it off this morning, sounds like it an ugly job when I got the call tonight. All seals were pooched.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Yeah....he said they should have it done by tomorrow night...not looking forward to this bill.....:headbang:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
No pics unfortunately, truck fixed though....all seals were pooched.
Drove it home and wheels didn't fall off, so that was a good sign :D

primetime

sawmill slave
Well, that price doesn`t really surprise. I don`t imagine there is a lot of those axles out there. Kind of makes him a special little snowflake.

And a little off topic... A log truck I haven`t seen in a while pulled in earlier this week. He has a Western Star with a picture of Garfield and "Fat cat 600" on the hood. Well I`m walking out to scale him, and I notice it now says Fat cat 700. So I said "turned your $$$$$ up did ya?" He laughed.

Anywho, I thought you might get a kick out of that Duncan. It was funnier in person.

I know, old and all, but seemed like a good as place as any. A log truck came in at break time. The loader operator went out to scale him. Surprise, it was this ^ guy. My buddy says where is your truck? He says oh it blew up, it`s getting overhauled. To which I replied "sucks when the puddy hocks a hairball." I thought the loader operator was gonna pee himself. It was all he could do to hold the stick straight for me.

Ford Truck Articles