Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

'01 V10 misfire not the coil or plug, what else?

I have a 2001 F350 4X4 with the Triton V10 (74,931 miles) that is giving the cylinder 1 misfire code (P0301). I’ve switched the #1 coil with cylinder number 6 and the #1 plug with cylinder number 2 and it is still giving the same cylinder 1 misfire code.

It is definitely not running right and it is especially noticeable at idle, it will run rough for a few seconds then smooth for a few seconds then rough for 15 seconds then smooth for 5 seconds and so on.

When I reset the codes it seems to run fine for 30 or 40 miles and then starts running bad again but this might just be a coincidence.

So my question is what else can cause cylinder 1 to misfire other than the coil or the spark plug? Any ideas or info would be much appreciated as I need to get this thing smogged soon. Thank you.

Sven

blacksnapon

Staff member
Injector, coil wiring

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
smilieIagree smiliewhathesaid

Thanks guys. Is swapping that injector with a different cylinder a good way to check if that is the problem? I don't have a manual for the truck are those injectors just pressed in?

I traced the coil wiring back to a large plug below the air filter, anyone know which pins are for the #1 cylinder? I can check it with an ohm meter but the fact that it is intermittent may make it hard to find. Any tips for tracking that down?

Problem Solved

Thanks again for the help. I swapped the injector from number 1 with the one from number 2 and when I did it I noticed some crud on the one from #1 which washed away easily with the fuel that spilled. Anyway just switching these two seems to have solved the problem, so I think it was some crud in the fuel line that would intermittently block the flow of fuel to that injector. It took 160 miles for the computer to reset after the last time I cleared the codes but it then passed smog with flying colors and I've got about 400 miles on it now without it throwing a code or missing.

Ford Truck Articles