Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Painted the grille on the Ranger yesterday.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Just wanted to throw some before and after pics from painting my grille. I'm much happier now.:)

Before:

picture025ya.jpg

After:

picture027j.jpg

picture028rq.jpg

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Looks good!

What kind of paint did you use?

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
What did you do for prep work?

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
That really sharpened that grill up.

Thanks man! I agree.

What did you do for prep work?

Josh, I wiped it down, then soap and water. Then wiped it down, then soap and water. Did that a good three times to make sure it was clean. After the first wash, I lightly ran a scuff pad through in case there was something rough that didn't want to come out.

Last edited:

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Looks good. Is it just the picture or is the bumper a different shade of white?

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Looks pretty good!

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Now ya just need some more black accents... Rockers area, etc.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Next Saturday i'm picking up my factory black bed caps, and i'm trading the chrome step bars for some factory black step bars.:)

Well, there ya go! :D

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Nice job Shaun, it looks great!

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Josh, I wiped it down, then soap and water. Then wiped it down, then soap and water. Did that a good three times to make sure it was clean. After the first wash, I lightly ran a scuff pad through in case there was something rough that didn't want to come out.
Not trying to burst a bubble, but I did the same thing on one of my Mercury Cougars. A couple months later, rocks and road debris took a pretty big toll on the krylon. It needs something to REALLY stick to. the surface needs to be roughed up pretty good (not just scuffs) in order for it to stick.

I hope yours holds up, it looks really good. The nice thing about krylon... its cheap and you can redo it easily if the time comes.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Thanks Duncan!

Not trying to burst a bubble, but I did the same thing on one of my Mercury Cougars. A couple months later, rocks and road debris took a pretty big toll on the krylon. It needs something to REALLY stick to. the surface needs to be roughed up pretty good (not just scuffs) in order for it to stick.

I hope yours holds up, it looks really good. The nice thing about krylon... its cheap and you can redo it easily if the time comes.

Yea, this is the reason I put it off for so long, but I bought two cans of the paint just in case. A couple other guys with Rangers have used it too without a problem. So i'll just keep an eye on it. I don't really have much of a problem with stuff getting kicked up on my truck, and this one doesn't usually see off road usage, so I think it won't give me much of a fit. Thanks though man!

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Yeah, my Cougar didn't see any off-road use, either. :D

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts