Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

power steering hose

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Was under the '97 today...

One of the steel lines for the power steering has rotted through and is leaking.

Haven't gotten around to figuring out which one it is. I can see where it's leaking, but I don't know enough about power steering to know what part it is that I'm looking at.

It's really too bad I like that truck...could solve a lot of headaches at once if I sent it to the scrapper, but I don't wanna.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Steel part of the line rusted through and split.

It's no big deal...I just need to find time to figure out what part I need, then find time and motivation to go replaced the damn thing. Motivation to work on a truck is hard to come by at this time of year.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
I see. Is it one of those long 1 pipe setups that coil around on the crossmember?

I'd suggest using a temporary rubber hose, but if I recall correctly the PS system is under high pressure, so I don't know if that would be an appropriate fix for it.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Sometimes rubber hose will work. I used a high pressure rubber hose one time and double clamped it and it lasted for years. It was on a Dodge though not a Ranger. You could try though and if for anything could be a temp. fix until you get better weather.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
If you double them usually there isn't a problem. If you are worried you can use those high pressure fuel clamps, but the worm type are usually fine.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
If it is just leaking and not gushing out it has to be a return low pressure line.
A rubber splice will hold a long time till it can be replaced with the proper line.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
It's just got a slight drip, but I'm starting to get some oscillation in the steering, which makes me think it might be sucking air....

Anyway- not sure whether I'll get to it today or not, but when I replace this line (either patch in a hose or replace the whole line), how do minimize air intrusion? I know the bleed procedure is to just saw the wheel back and forth until the air comes out, but it seems like I could save some time and trouble if I kept out as much air as possible when I remove the line. (Maybe not, though- I dunno.)

racsan

4xford
i had a line go bad a few years back, i went ahead and replaced both hoses. was easy to remove them from the steering box, i just broke them off and a socket would then fit over them. didnt seem to do any damage from running the p/s system low on oil, pump was noisy when oil level got real low, thats how i found i had a problem. no more louder now than it ever was. fords seem to have a distinctive p/s pump whine for some unknown reason.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
That they do...covers the noise the valvetrain makes, though. ;)

I started on the hose the other day, but then go to a "point of no return" and realized I didn't have time to finish the job before the sun set, so I decided to wait until I've got more time. Now the weather's crappy again...

It's not leaking bad, so for the short trips I make with that truck, I'm not in a huge hurry to get it replaced.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
fords seem to have a distinctive p/s pump whine for some unknown reason.

smilieIagree

I've never really found an answer to why, but it is very common. I found an additive once that quiets down the noise, but I can't remember what it was, but it did work well.

Ford Truck Articles