Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

And so it has begun...

For those who dont know the story, ill give a brief explanation.

I blew up the 400 in my 77 f150 4X4. Replaced it with a 550 horse screamer 460. It was a used motor that i took out of a truck i bought. The guy i bought it from had completely beefed up the suspension from the t case back to handle it. I figured if i went easy, it would last. nope. Blew out the first u joint this weekend. =(

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
I feel your pain.

Were they old U joints?

Not old old. Ive had them in for about a year. This wasnt a they just wore out thing. I was messing around, i cant lie. The set up the previous owner of the motor had 1 ton u joints, 3/16 thick steel driveline, nodular case rear end, top of the line ring and pinion, and some fancy shmancy dutchman axles. So i guess ive gotta start beefing stuff up.

Id just beef it up as ya break it.

Ive got the driveline, or the bottom piece, and the nodular case, and the 1 ton yokes. So when i beef up the axle and put the gears i want in and put a locker in, ill use the big driveshaft and u joints then

wizzard351

ride'n on 35's
wi
ill probaly get flamed a bit but for the money you cant beat spicer X u jionts. well if they still make them at least. last set i bought was 20 years ago

polarbear

Boring, Oregon
Not old old. Ive had them in for about a year. This wasnt a they just wore out thing. I was messing around, i cant lie. The set up the previous owner of the motor had 1 ton u joints, 3/16 thick steel driveline, nodular case rear end, top of the line ring and pinion, and some fancy shmancy dutchman axles. So i guess ive gotta start beefing stuff up.

Fancy schmancy indeed. Dad of a buddy of Nick's owns Dutchman's- kid used to live with us for awhile (long story).

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
I get to replace u-joints once a year, dont matter if there sealed, if they have the grease zerk and i do grease them or if i dont, Every time once a year they go out.

Backwoods

Figmentoftheimagination
Can you beef up a half ton to handle it, or would you have to go to a 3/4 ton frame? I have wondered this for a while.

Can you beef up a half ton to handle it, or would you have to go to a 3/4 ton frame? I have wondered this for a while.

stronger axle, driveline, and u joints and you are good. Its just the drivetrain that cant handle it not the frame

polarbear

Boring, Oregon
stronger axle, driveline, and u joints and you are good. Its just the drivetrain that cant handle it not the frame

Use it hard enough, and you'll be amazed at what you can break. Every young guy goes through this- there are trucks to play with, and there are trucks you drive to work. They should never be the same truck.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts