Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Considering an '05 XLT?

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
I have an 05 my dad has an 06...heres what we have had for issues.

Egr
Egr
Egr
Egr
Egr

Crap fuel mileage

Egr
Egr
Egr
Egr
Egr

Tuners fixed both of these things.

Dads truck gets about 15mpg and mine got 8!

Sct Tuner in mine got it to 20-23.

Dad still needs sct

Also fried my windshield wiper motor out of the blue...2nd one stripped out the gears and 3rd one makes funny noises.

Sent from my mudwhistle via lemmiwinks.

I have an 05 my dad has an 06...heres what we have had for issues.

Egr
Egr
Egr
Egr
Egr

Crap fuel mileage

Egr
Egr
Egr
Egr
Egr

Tuners fixed both of these things.

Dads truck gets about 15mpg and mine got 8!

Sct Tuner in mine got it to 20-23.

Dad still needs sct

Also fried my windshield wiper motor out of the blue...2nd one stripped out the gears and 3rd one makes funny noises.

Are these tuners actually useful? Are they a one-time deal, or can you repeatedly mess around with it and change your truck's performance/HP/torque/etc??

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Generally that have 2-3 levels of performance. They will also clear codes...like if you delete your EGR. My Ford dealer here sold me the one I have, I have picked up a solid 3mpg.
The danger comes when people use the highest level and decide to tow there 20,000# toy hauler at Mach 1 up a hill.

Can I use one brand to tune a vehicle that's been tuned by another brand? Does the computer need to be set back to stock first? My dealership told me there is a recall out for my truck, but taking care of it would reset it back to stock.

I appreciate all the help!

On another note, I read about a "blue spring upgrade". Anyone have any experience with this? Is it everything it's cracked up to be?

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
You would probably want to set it back to stock prior to tuning it. Mine has like 5 levels for the motor, tunes the tranny, egr etc. Etc etc. Pretty cool really.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
What Tater said...and the blue spring is a Ford part that ups the fuel pressure to make sure it doesn't fall below (I think) 45psi....cheap insurance so you don't starve the injectors, it's on my list of things to do.

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
Hmm...i read it damages injectors

You would probably want to set it back to stock prior to tuning it. Mine has like 5 levels for the motor, tunes the tranny, egr etc. Etc etc. Pretty cool really.

Ok, I'll wait until I get a tuner, then take it in for the recall and take it home and tune it.

Thanks for the info!

Ford Truck Articles