Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

3rd radiator.........

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Noticed the "puddle" under the driverside bumper. White stain half way up the tank. First 2 were changed under warranty, I am not out of mileage, but I am out of time on the warranty. Mishimoto is the route I want to go. Any site supporters sell them? Anything else I need to do when I change it out? (Parts that are needed from Ford, and do I need the vacuum coolant fill tool?)

blacksnapon

Staff member
Noticed the "puddle" under the driverside bumper. White stain half way up the tank. First 2 were changed under warranty, I am not out of mileage, but I am out of time on the warranty. Mishimoto is the route I want to go. Any site supporters sell them? Anything else I need to do when I change it out? (Parts that are needed from Ford, and do I need the vacuum coolant fill tool?)
You can just fill normally through the degas bottle. A couple of top offs will be required though. My opinion on the radiators is the "pins" that the radiators sit down on follow the flex of the frame when pulling hard. This flex separates the tank from the body of the radiator. When installing the radiator, trim off one of them before installation.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Thanks Vince, I figured as much, on the vacuum tool, but it's nice to have reassurance by someone who works on them all the time. OEM radiators are around $3-400, the Mishimoto is $850 but comes with a lifetime warranty. I plan on keeping the truck along time so for me, the Mishimoto is the way to go, or at least seems like it.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Vince, neither radiator hose was changed to the updated design (white ends to the engine block) do I need to change these out along with the thermostat or leave them be, if so would you either pm me the required pn.s or post them here. The mishimoto video shows step by step how to change the radiator, but I have found only text on changing the hoses/t-stat out.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Yeah, I'd want to change the hoses too. Watch when you separate the hoses under the radiator. There is still a considerable amount of coolant in there. No place to run, no place to hide. There are clips to fasten both sides of the hoses to the shroud. Release only one, then you can separate both hoses slowly. I'll have to get the part # at work for the hoses.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Well, I got the radiator installed. The Mishimoto video is spot on except that a Dually has an oil cooler. There is enough slack and room to lay it down out of the way. I didn't end up changing the hoses as they were changed when the 3rd radiator went in and were still plenty plyable no visual defects. I did change the o-rings however. You will need 3 gallons of Ford Gold Coolant and 3 gallons of Distilled water, I added 2 bottles of Royal Purple Purple Ice additive as well.

It is a pretty straight forward job, but without removing the AC Condenser 3 sets of hands made me way more comfortable. One set holding the AC Condenser, and 2 sets snaking out the Radiator. Pro Tip of the week, go the dollar general and get a Sterilite 66 QT rectangular storage container. It will hold all the fluid and is large enough to even catch the "lower hose" remnants as well as the minute amount of trans fluid that you lose.

The video said 3.5 hours in and out, minus the trip to Ford for the o-rings, 2 hours tops. As Vince said, no need for the $200 vacuum tool, it filled correctly and I needed to add a very small amount (a quart or 2) after the first long trip. (270 miles) The level has remained constant since.

Ford Truck Articles