Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Electronic question

Hello,

My truck is a 2008 F-250 Lariat 6.4 diesel.
My question regards some electrical problems involving mainly the radio.
First the radio works fine, all buttons function properly, the display is normal and plays CD's fine.
The problem is that the back lighting does not work nor does the AUX jack.
Also the media buttons on the steering wheel do not work either.
I've also had an SCT programmer installed for about 3 years now and it will not power up.
This happened all at once the last time the truck was driven.
I've checked what fuses I thought would be applicable...nothing. Wondering if anyone out there might have a suggestion where to look next.

And lastly we pull a fifth wheel RV. The built in brake controller will randomly stop working showing an error and the trailer brakes do not work then it will begin working w/o touching it. Is the problem more possibly associated with the trailer? Or can the controller be acting up.
Thanks
Keith

blacksnapon

Staff member
Speaker Walk-Around Test

NOTE: To enter the speaker walk-around test or ACM self-diagnostic mode, the audio system must be on and in radio tuner (AM/FM) mode.

To enter the speaker walk-around test, simultaneously press the ACM preset buttons 3 and 6.
The speaker walk-around test stops at each speaker and applies sound to each speaker for about 1 to 2 seconds. Each speaker is tested and displayed on the ACM as follows (not necessarily in this order): RF, LF, LR, RR, SUBWOOFER.
To exit the speaker walk-around test, turn the key to OFF, turn the audio system off, or press preset button 1 for diagnostics (ACMs without navigation), or press "End Test" (navigation ACM).
Audio Control Module (ACM) Self-Diagnostic Mode — All Audio Systems Without Navigation

NOTE: To enter the ACM self-diagnostic mode, the audio system must be turned on and in radio tuner (AM/FM) mode.

To enter the following tests, press the desired preset button while in the speaker walk-around test or while in the ACM self-diagnostic mode.
The self-diagnostic mode has the following functions available:
Preset button 1 = On-Demand Self-Test. This button runs the on-demand self-test.
Pressing the MENU UP or DOWN button allows scrolling of any DTCs found during the test while in this menu.
Preset button 2 = Display Continuous DTCs. This button enables viewing of any continuous DTCs that have been logged.
Pressing the MENU UP or DOWN button allows scrolling of any DTCs while in this menu.
While continuous DTCs are being displayed, pressing the EJECT button will clear all present DTCs.
Preset button 3 = Signal Strength Test. This button displays the signal strength.
Preset button 4 = Software Version Display. This button displays the ACM software version.
Pressing the MENU UP button allows scrolling of all audio subsystem software versions while in this menu.
Preset button 5 = Display Test. This test illuminates all the display segments for 5 seconds, then turns all segments off.
Preset button 6 = Configuration Status. This button enables ACM configuration status.
Pressing the MENU UP button displays the ACM part number while in this menu.
To exit the self-diagnostic mode, turn the audio system off or turn the key OFF.
If the concern remains and the fault is not detected, GO to Symptom Chart to continue diagnostics.
Audio Control Module (ACM) Self-Diagnostic Mode — Navigation ACM

To enter the self-diagnostic mode, press "End Test" during the speaker walk-around test.

The following diagnostic modes are available using the on-screen buttons:
"On Demand Self Test" — provides internal self-test diagnostics and displays all the DTCs resulting from the self-test.
"View DTC's" — provides a list of all the DTCs currently stored in memory.
"Configuration Status" — displays the current unit configuration.
"System Info" — provides the navigation module part number and software information.
"GPS Info" — provides satellite information and vehicle current information.
"Speaker Walk Test" — carries out a speaker walk-around test.
"Multi-disc Test" — carries out a test of the CD player mechanism.
"Display Test" — allows the screen colors to be checked, and allows individual touch sectors of the display screen to be tested.
"Hardkey Test" — checks the operation of any ACM button.
"Radio Signal Strength" — carries out a test of the AM/FM antenna signal.
To exit the self-diagnostic mode, turn the audio system off, turn the key to OFF, or press "Exit Diagnostics".
If the concern remains and the fault is not detected, GO to Symptom Chart to continue diagnostics.

Sorry if this is done twice. Don't see the other went through.

The test went as you said it would.
Preset button 1 showed "Self Fail"
Menu up showed "B1342 ECU"
Menu up showed "B2477 Config"
Preset button 2/eject button did not clear the above codes.

Preset button 5, Display Test, showed all lighting working including the back light. The back light still will not work neither the steering wheel controls.

I talked to my dealer about price for an ACM if needed. He said no parts of the system are cheap and that the ACM was part of the radio unit. Cost would be in the area of $400-$500.
The part no. of the radio is 8C3T 18C869CA if this helps.

Thanks

blacksnapon

Staff member
The ecu dtc says that the ECU is faulted. Replacement (audio control module)is necessary. The "config" DTC suggests that reprogramming the Audio control module is necessary. You might try reprogramming, but it doesn't usually help.

It reprogramming something I can do or does this need done at a dealership.
Also not sure DTC and ECU stand for.
If the complete radio unit is likely to be replaced for $500 I may look to the salvage yards or just install a complete aftermarket system.
Not sure what to do at this point. Very disappointed. Never had a radio quit before.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
DTC is diagnostic trouble code

ECU is electronic control unit.

Thanks for the code meanings. I've dealt w/ECU codes before which stood for Engine Control Unit in a John Deere tractor but knew that couldn't be what this ECU meant and is why I asked. DTC was a new one.

Knowing the radio would probably be replaced I visited Audio+ yesterday, black Friday sales ?, to see what they might have. They recommended a Kenwood DPX500BT replacement which will fit nearly exactly. It has all the bells and whistles and can be adapted for the steering wheel controls with a $90 plugin unit. Wiring and face plate adapters, antenna adapter & mounting kit for $220 w/ black Friday discounts. If desired they have speakers that will complete the system for $140. He guaranteed it would sound much better anyway and I could change the speakers anytime I wanted. I plan to install the unit today as temps are supposed to reach nearly 50.

It goes without saying this would not have been possible w/o your help. I can't thank you enough.

Have a good holiday season.
Keith Welsh

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Glad you found a solution! smilieFordlogo

Ford Truck Articles