Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > Special Interest > Motorcycle/ATV

Old 03-29-2016, 10:32 PM
Tonto Papadapolous

fatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Adding a wench(SIC).

I got a winch with the last 4 wheeler I bought that was never installed. Apparently the guy had taken it to the dealer to have it installed, along with a snow plow. The previous owner took the parts in to get installed and the dealer told the owner that he did not purchase the correct mounting plate for the winch. The mounting plate that was referenced was the mounting plate for the snow plow.

Anyway, I ordered a mounting plate for a LT2000 Superwinch, which I received yesterday. The winch was 5 years old, and, apparently, the size of the mounting bracket had changed. The mounting plate for the 4 wheeler is a perfect fit, but I had to drill different holes to mount the winch to the plate.

Thus far, I have attached the winch to the mounting plate, and attached the fairlead. I'm waiting for better weather to attach the winch to the 4 wheeler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john112deere
I think the lens of time is required to differentiate between the real milestones, and the detours along the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxlh View Post
Strippers, ammo and SKS, wow, that is almost sig worthy!!
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2016, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator

Super Moderator

SuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond repute
Nice wench Doug

A winch is handy to have... I've only ever used mine once or twice but I was glad to have it!
Let me know if you have installation questions and I'll refer you to someone smarter than me

2011 F-150 XLT SuperCrew EcoBoost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
I have some other options if those don't work.

What's your view on sheep?
Old 03-29-2016, 10:58 PM
Tonto Papadapolous

fatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think the lens of time is required to differentiate between the real milestones, and the detours along the way.
Quote:
Old 03-30-2016, 02:14 PM
Tonto Papadapolous

Got the winch installed on the front of the Polaris before it started raining. I did get a chance to test fit the wires that run from the solenoid to the winch. They were about 8" too short. I'm not sure where to mount the solenoid. It is about 4" square and about 2" thick. The other issue is that the solenoid wires that run from the solenoid to the battery are only about 18" long, so it has to be mounted close to the battery. There is not enough room next to the battery, so I'm thinking either the storage box under the seat, or there is room on the other frame rail where the exhaust pipe makes a 45 deg turn to get past the right rear strut. I would have to wrap either the exhaust pipe or the solenoid or both to keep heat away from the solenoid. Regardless, I will have to add 8-10" of wire to the winch electrical wires to get them to reach the winch. Any suggestions?

I also don't like the way the electrical connections for the winch hang out in the open. I will need to find some rubber boots to fit over them, like the boots on the starter solenoid.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-30-2016, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

Super Moderator

SuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond repute
With the battery all the way in the back on those sportsman models you may end up buying some cable. If it was me I'd put the solenoid up under the seat or somewhere somewhat protected. Such as can be

Quote:

Old 03-30-2016, 05:24 PM
Tonto Papadapolous

Thank you. The only place I have found where it will fit is next to the exhaust pipe under the seat(right frame rail) or in the storage box. If I fit it next to the exhaust pipe(about 2" clearance) I will have enough cable to get to the winch without splicing more cable in.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-30-2016, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator

Super Moderator

I'd just go with that. Put a little header wrap or something on that piece of exhaust and call it a day. Those solenoids are usually pretty tough.

I'm sure Duncan or Ryan will chime in and tell me where I'm wrong

Quote:

Old 03-30-2016, 06:08 PM
Tonto Papadapolous

I just hang out for a little while and see. Thank you, Frank.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-01-2016, 02:08 AM
Tonto Papadapolous

I found some rubber boots made for alternator electrical connections today that I think will work for the connectors on the winch. After looking at wiring diagrams for the Polaris, I discovered there is already an accessory connector built into the wiring harness for the winch, so the electrical will be plug and play.

I didn't find any exhaust pipe insulation today, so I will order some.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-01-2016, 06:21 PM
The Token Canadian

Admin

DNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond repute
Other option for a heat shield is a piece of aluminum or use the aluminum tape. You could use the tape right on the contactor...it works surprisingly well...a few of the factory pieces of plastic on my quad have that tape on it and has held up.
The header wrap works...just don't put it anywhere that moisture can get under it.

This Warn kit is something to consider as well Doug:

https://www.warn.com/atv/accessories...ssoryKit.shtml

Also....I would sure suggest going to synthetic rope when time/$ allows.

Nice job and a wench is needed for sure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherdoug View Post
I prefer to call it a passion, rather than a problem. That way it is self-justified.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNomad View Post
I need your full mailing address, so I can fedex you a wet fart.