Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Burning rubber smell on a Tribute

RangerPilot

Boom Shaka Laka
Dallas, TX
You know, the Mazda 'scape thing...

Girlfriend owns it...yeah she drives bad but not like burning rubber bad. But every time we go somewhere and park it, I can smell burned rubber. I can't isolate it...the tires don't smell like they're burning, and I can't "track" the smell to an isolated area.

Anyone got suggestions?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Noticed any 'carmelizing' on the belt(s)? To me, if it's not tires, then it's belts. Which then would tell me the belts are old and stretched and slipping, or you have a pulley starting to go bad.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Smoking used condoms? [confused]

That sounds like some thing Tex would say, you feeling well?

I've had this same issue with my Bronco every time I drive it I get a burnt rubber smell, The only thing I can find that's making the smell is the plug boots are getting really hot but not hot enough to melt just stink. Other then that no clue [confused]

RangerPilot

Boom Shaka Laka
Dallas, TX
Checked it today. First oddity...it's got two belts. A main serpentine belt, and another small belt at the opposite side of the block (looks like maybe a cam belt...but exposed).

Both are worn and cracked, so I'm thinking that the 130K miles are probably on the original belt. The main belt, which I could get a good hand on, had a good bit of play in it. The small belt appeared to have some wiggle in it as well.

Going to attempt to change them tomorrow. Thanks for the help everybody.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Well I'm glad we HOPEFULLY solved your problem. Only thing that strikes me as strange is...normally when I smell a belt burning, I also hear a little squealing as well...you didn't mention that as a symptom...did you hear any? Did you notice any 'carmelizing' like I initially said?

RangerPilot

Boom Shaka Laka
Dallas, TX
I've never heard squealing, and she says she hasn't either. It's a very quiet little car, and I think the squealing would stand out pretty obviously.

I believe I saw a little carmelizing if we're thinking of the same thing, especially on the serpentine belt.

Anybody know what the part name is for the small belt?

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Figuring out what it drives would probably help you name it....

Buddy has an Olds Aurora with a setup like that to drive the water pump...but it could be about anything, I would think.

RangerPilot

Boom Shaka Laka
Dallas, TX
It really looks like it drives a cam...but I'm not positive of that. Just seems correctly placed to drive the cam on the front head. I'll check again tomorrow.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts