Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Disassembling the 300.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Looking good!

Ryan

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Well it turns out that my 300 has had some work done to it in the past. I took a closer look at the rod bearings as well as the main bearing caps, and they were both .010 oversize. The rod bearings were Clevites while the Main bearings were Federal Mogul. I didn't even bother trying to get the cam bearings out, and I wouldn't be surprised if they were a third manufacturer. The pistons are IND Bras, so it looks like they're not original, and there is a possiblity that the 300 has sleeves in it, although I can't quite confirm that for sure.

So now I really have no idea how many miles are on the F150. Not that it matters since the truck will be completely new underneath when I'm done with her.

Workin' Rig

Stone Cold Bo Norris
The 300 is a great engine, but its your truck. There not as fast as a 302/351 but pull better then a 302 does...and not to metion take alot more abuse.

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
Well Shaun..you know what you have in the 300. it is easy for us to say build the 400 or what ever motor you want,ultimately its up to you.your doing a fine job so far.think about it compare the numbers do some homework on costs and runinng costs of a performance engine of your choice.stay within your means,you dont want something you wont be able to afford to drive once it is done.If it was me i would build the 400 and make one hell of a sleeper out of the truck retaining its current look.Ide rather have more & not need it,than to have less and wish it had more.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Thanks BuzzGun!

I never concluded this thread, so here we go. The 300 was previously bored .030 over. Shoddy rebuild as the rod and main bores were out of round, which ended up eating the bearings. Not to mention all the rust buildup on the outer cylinder walls. I gave the 300 to a friend who eventually scrapped it.

I now have a 400, BB C6, New Process 208F all going into the truck. So I'm pretty much past the point of no return now.

The 300 right before it went to the scrapper:

picture575.jpg

My 400:

picture727rsq.jpg

C6 4x4:

picture753.jpg

And the truck as it sits yesterday.

picture838t.jpg

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I'll bet you will be enjoying that 400!

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Are you going to go with the Aussie 2 barrel heads?

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Are you going to go with the Aussie 2 barrel heads?

Not on this 400. This build is focused solely on getting the truck going again. I miss driving it.

I can't say the same for my next 400. That will be getting a set of TMI pistons (If he's still kicking by then), and some other torque goodies. :)

Ford Truck Articles