Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

steering box question.

I have a 1979 f-150 4x4 with a 302 cid V8 engine. I bought this truck from another gentleman who had disassembled the truck for a future off frame restoration. The frame was a rolling chassis without an engine and transmission.
the question I have, the power steering hose connection ports on this steering box are pointed down toward the ground. This makes the running of the hoses somewhat awkward. Question is, can this be correct, would this inhibit getting the air out of system? Can this part of the steering box be installed wrong after being rebuilt? In other words, can the 4 bolts be removed and simply rotate the input shaft housing 90 degrees and reattach hoses? The reason for the question is I have never seen in all the photos on line, a box with lines going anywhere but upward. Thanks for your help in advance.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
I have a 1979 f-150 4x4 with a 302 [confused] cid V8 engine. I bought this truck from another gentleman who had disassembled the truck for a future off frame restoration. The frame was a rolling chassis without an engine and transmission.
Engine has been swapped. No 302's with 4WD until 1980.

What engine did this F150 come with originally? Is this a Regular or Super Cab?

Warranty Plate riveted to the left door face below the latch.

Post the Warranty Number (VIN).

Yes. I installed the 302 I had built for another truck. The existing engine was torn up. It was a 351M with a 4spMT. I went out and purchased a small block bell housing to mate the two. The vin # F14HUDJ1923 It is a regular cab.

Fellro

Staff member
Looking at the parts photos from parts sites, they do point downward like that.I can try to go get a look at the 78 F150 4x4 I have and get some pics maybe.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
That is the correct box

Getting the air out of the system is done by turning the wheels back and forth, while the pump is being driven. It bleeds itself.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Yes. I installed the 302 I had built for another truck. The existing engine was torn up. It was a 351M with a 4spMT. I went out and purchased a small block bell housing to mate the two.

VIN: F14HUDJ1923
F14 = F150 Regular Cab 4WD Pickup.

H = 351M

U = Louisville KY Assembly Plant.

DJ1923 = 1979.

Ford Truck Articles