Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Hello everyone!

I've checked out this sight many times and have found it very helpful in the past...so finally bit the bullet and registered!!

I am really getting sick of a starter heat soak issue. I am definitely going to replace with newer gear reduction style. Have been all over online and there's such a variance in prices...can anyone just recommend what would be the best bet...brand name etc. for a 1970 custom sport F250 with a beefed up 390 in it.
Thanks

Fellro

Staff member
Headers, or stock manifolds and pipes? I don't have a particular unit to recommend, but main thing is to try to keep away from the heat. Even gear reduction drives can have that issue. Big thing is to get one that has a good build, as there are many cheap ones out there that don't hold up. I would typically recommend getting such from wither a company you feel you can trust, or a local that you can go get in their face about it if it fails. A heat shield can be as simple as putting a piece of tin with an extension to give some air gap between the starter and the shield, and the shield of course needs to be between the starter and heat source.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts