Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Power steering

I just picked up a 1993 Ford ranger with a 1996 drivetrain it's lifted 7 inches with 35x12.5 tires and my power steering pump whines even when I'm not touching the wheel and when I do turn the wheels it whines really loud. The fluid is full. Is there a better power steering pump I can get that would work better with the big tires or is there anything else I can do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ford power steering pumps are notorious for being screamers, to the point where you can tell is a Ford before you even see it.

I would replace the pump and maybe look around on some offroad sites to see if they offer something better.

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Most of the time the noise is cured by replacing the power steering pump, and BTW the OEM pump will work just fine with your tire size. When you replace it, which for a 93 will probably be with a rebuild, you DO want to shop and get a good quality rebuild, and good rebuilt pumps are typically not found at low-cost chain auto parts stores (O'Ricers as an example).

Ford Truck Articles