Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

cold start

hi everybody! Been awhile... Truck has been running good, except for last week when I had to get the OEM fuel pump replaced.

Had an issue the last two nights when I'm leaving work and the truck has been sitting for 8+ hrs in freezing weather, I have to cycle the glow plugs several times (2-3 the night before, 5-6 tonight), and work the accelerator pedal for her to start. Started fine this morning after running the block heater for almost two hours. Does this sound like just a glow plug issue? I will check them this weekend. Or the infamous glow plug relay, which I know nothing about. Any help would be appreciated, IDI's forever!

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Are you sure you don't have a fuel leak down, not a glow plug issue?
You didn't have this problem before the new pump.

Fellro

Staff member
Glow plugs are easy to check, as the resistance is either good or it is open circuit. You can use a test light or a meter. Test light (glow plugs unhooked) touch the test light from the positive battery cable to the glow plug connection. If it lights, they are good. With a meter, I want to say it is 7 ohms.

My 86 is similar, in that it likes to be cycled 2 times if real cold and not plugged in. It likes glow plugs in 70 degree weather. Without cycling the glows at least once, no fire without excessive cranking.

Generally, when I fight air intrusion or leak back, it fires for about 30 seconds or less then dies once the injection pump bowl empties out, then requires a lot of cranking again to get it back.

thanks guys about what I was thinking, hope it's not a fuel problem, figured if it started with the block heater that lead me to believe it was the glow plugs, and I've been meaning to check them any way, hope to get on that tomorrow, calling for snow on Sunday!
does sound like the air intrusion issue though..

Generally, when I fight air intrusion or leak back, it fires for about 30 seconds or less then dies once the injection pump bowl empties out, then requires a lot of cranking again to get it back.

replaced one plug, had a cold snap last week, warm today mid '50's did the above when leaving work tonight :guns:
bad week to try'en get'er back to the mech... any ideas? pls n thnx

Fellro

Staff member
Commonly it is the o-rings, return lines, or caps at the motor. I did have an issue with the check valve return from the filter head letting the fuel drain back to the tank. I don't have the at line any more, capped it and has been fine for several years now.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
I had a bad o ring on a filter once.
It leaked in as the truck sat, right into the fuel filter.
replaced the filter, bleed the system again, and good to go.
Maybe a piece of dirt got under there while you were changing it?

That filter on an IDI isn't really in a nice place to work on.......

well had to have her towed last Monday, would not start when I went to leave work, mech. replaced the fuel pump, again, still under warranty, been ok, since then...
he showed me the air valve on top of the filter, where he bled some air off.
pretty easy to get the filter on my rig.

Ford Truck Articles