Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1987 f250

I got an 87 f250, 460 engine 4 speed tranny w/ granny. I pulled a 35 ft gooseneck with a dove tail, with 15 big rolls of hay on it. We figured it was over 20k lbs. Reckon that's to hard on it? It seemed fine. What's the rating on those trucks?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Prolly way less than that. I have 2005 diesel and my max fiver towing is around 15500 with my truck weighing 8000.

Book sez 23500 combined...(2005)

Welcome to FTF! smilieFordlogo

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
What those truck would do now and then and what they were rated for are very different... I'd guess max towing on that was around 10,000lbs according to ford.

Welcome to the site!

Fellro

Staff member
Tow rating is much more than what the powertrain can move it at. Getting it stopped is one thing, tire load capacity and spring capacity are other things that go into it. SUre, these trucks can do more, but better be sure everything is up to snuff and your insurance/registration is good. Any incidents and you likely will have a lawsuit to deal with. One of those times that just because you can doesn't mean you should...

Ford Truck Articles