Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

New truck...New questions

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
Alrighty...

So believe it or not i'm one of the nerdy guys that actually reads the owners manual of my cars. I'm not gonna lie and say cover to cover, cause I can set a clock and program a radio, but certainly sections that I am otherwise unfamilair with.

Anyways so My manual on my new truck...2013 f150 5.0L V8 flexfuel, says to use full synthetic oil or a blend for oil changes. Is this a move that manufactures are making, getting away from dino and going synthetic?

I ask mainly because paying for a full synthetic oil change is considerably more expensive then dino. If that is the case I'm gonna be doing a lot more of my own oil changes.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
So believe it or not i'm one of the nerdy guys that actually reads the owners manual of my cars.
Easy, occifer, I resemble that remark. (I'd read the manual on my '09 cover-to-cover within 24 hours of setting eyes on it.)

Anyways so My manual on my new truck...2013 f150 5.0L V8 flexfuel, says to use full synthetic oil or a blend for oil changes. Is this a move that manufactures are making, getting away from dino and going synthetic?

I ask mainly because paying for a full synthetic oil change is considerably more expensive then dino. If that is the case I'm gonna be doing a lot more of my own oil changes.

I'm not sure you'll find it's that much more expensive if you go for a synthetic blend... Pretty sure that's across-the-board (or nearly so) on Fords, so the dealer's oil barrels are filled with Motorcraft semi-synthetic. The few dealership oil changes I paid for on my '09 were not appreciably more expensive than doing it myself have been, with Mobil1 full synthetic and a Motorcraft filter. (It's mostly just easier to do it myself, not cheaper. YMMV)

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I'm not sure what the manufacturers direction is, but given the longer time frame between oil changes and the increase in overall performance given from a true synthetic, it wouldn't surprise me if they are going in that direction.

Also, given the fact that several automakers are providing new vehicles with synthetic from the factory speaks volumes....this has been going on for some time..in fact, my 2005 750 had the option of synthetic in the transmission and rear end with a substantial difference in the change intervals compared to normal oil.

I get an oil analysis done on several of the vehicles I own where I do a yearly oil change....analysis says I can go way longer....although my mileage is typically low...as in under 15000 miles.

If I had your truck, I'd choose to do my own oil changes and use a brand that you can get from someone here.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
an oil that meets Ford's WSS-M2C930-A spec.

i dont know of any conventional oils that meet it. the spec is typically to meet Noack Volitility and Total Base Number. which a syn blend or higher will meet fords spec.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
The most popular oil run at the dealership I was at was the synthetic blend. I run it in all of my vehicles.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Mine was synthetic from the dealership and the oil change interval they reccommended was 7500 miles.

At the risk of being flamed....I suggest you try an off brand...like Amsoil...and then send a sample away to an impartial lab for analysis.

The API will always be brought up, although it is a voluntary certification....kinda like when people won't buy an expensive home theatre as it hasn't been "THX" certified....although that certification being a strictly voluntary set of parameters as well, with a fee paid to Lucas.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Man that Motorcraft blend is some great oil.

Ryan

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
First off Duncan...I would never flame my pal from the frozen north. I have generally been a "take it and have i changed" kind of person. Mainly for convenience more then anything else. But in these parts the price difference between dino and synthetic, without a coupon, is probably $20-$30 depending on the place. I have heard lots of people swear by amsoil but I have never actually used it, so I'm open.

And, Scott, at least Ian and Duncan paid attention to me. I know they missed me, or at least noticed I was gone...haha

Anyways, yep i'm back now that I'm officially back in a Ford.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
First off Duncan...I would never flame my pal from the frozen north. I have generally been a "take it and have i changed" kind of person. Mainly for convenience more then anything else. But in these parts the price difference between dino and synthetic, without a coupon, is probably $20-$30 depending on the place. I have heard lots of people swear by amsoil but I have never actually used it, so I'm open.

And, Scott, at least Ian and Duncan paid attention to me. I know they missed me, or at least noticed I was gone...haha

I should have qualified that...I didn't mean to imply you would flame me....it was more of a generally specifically aimed comment to the ones that have an issue with the API or MLM programs.....I'm vague...it's a Canuck defense :D

$20-30 for a regular to synthetic change sounds pretty good to me regardless.

Oh...and great to see you again ossifer.

:p

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN

me being an Amsoil guy, I'm not 100% Amsoil is only thing anyone should put in a vehicle..

there are great options for off the shelf oil. but personally, its either Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra, or Amsoil Signature series if wanna have the best. XL series if want API approved oil. Signature Series could easily certify but the API doesn't allow for base stock swapping so that hurts SS.

anyways... if ya want more info on anything Amsoil I'm your man..

Fellro

Staff member
The Motorcraft is also readily available at most parts stores, even Wally World. I tend to catch the synthetics on sale with the filter. Mobil 1 and Valvoline are typically my main stays for when I go full synthetic, with the occasional Castrol. The package deal is a lot of times around $32.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
The 5w20 motorcraft is a synthetic blend and it'll work just fine in your 5.0.

smilieIagree

Marquis is pushing 205,000 miles, has had nothing but Motorcraft 5-20 syn/blend. It leaks about a quart every 1500 miles (pass side valve cover gasket), but still doesn't use a noticeable amount.

I don't know squat about motor oil, just know what works. LOF is still $20 @ Suburban Ford w/Motorcraft filter.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
It is really hard to beat an API certified oil. It is even harder to beat an API certified oil that is printed on the fill cap of the engine in question. If you are running E85, then no doubt about it you should run a Gp II or Gp III and save yourself some money. PAO or Ester, full syn in an E85 motor is a gamble at best without 2K (YES I SAID 2K) oil analysis, which would probably negate any savings over a years time. Ethanol as a fuel has a lot of off gas moisture and does some really funky things to engine oil. Changing it early and often with a average oil is far better than trying to stretch it with a great oil.

Ford Truck Articles