Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

97 aerostar power steering

97 aerostar power steering pump isn't working at idle if i rev the engine it whines but the power steering is working better. my thought is that the pump may have a weak impeller or a check valve that requires higher pressure. If anyone has had a similar problem and corrected it I sure could use advice. I plan on replacing the pump soon as I don't drive the van every day so I can wait a bit

blacksnapon

Staff member
That is actually one check for P/S problems. "does it work when idle is raised?" ........YES----change the pump.

Thanks it does work when rpm raised. Problem is with the operator, I came up with the same solution after I decided to rev the engine and see if the steering got easier, which it did before I posted
I will replace the pump like I should have done as soon as I noticed the problem but was only using the van on Saturdays so wasn't much of a problem but driving it every day lately as loaned my car to my Great niece while here on a two month internship.
20 years ago I would have changed out the pump just to see if that fixed the problem and go from there but getting older and don't have the energy anymore

I really appreciate the help I get from forums I spend a lot of time searching for similar posts before I post and there are a lot of good people out there willing to share their knowledge
. Thanks again :)

Ford Truck Articles