Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Proprietary oil required in GM Cars?

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Found this little blurb in the Rockauto newsletter. What a crock! :headbang:

Changing engine oil is many automotive do-it-yourselfers’ (DIY) first experience under the hood. DIY oil changes are convenient, save money, help prevent stripped oil drain plugs, and let the owner choose his favorite oil filter and oil.

DIY oil changes have faced challenges over the years. Some cities considered banning DIY oil changes to prevent disastrous pollution from used oil. Strong public support for DIY oil changes has led to good solutions, like education and mandatory oil recycling, in most places.

The latest challenge could be coming from General Motors. Traditionally, car manufacturers specify different oil weights (5W30) or broad categories like synthetic, but they all use the same oil standards (currently ILSAC GF-5 for gas engines) and leave it up to the vehicle owners or repair shops to choose their favorite oil brands.

Now GM is changing the status quo by requiring their proprietary, Dexos™ oil be used in new GM cars beginning in 2011. GM says Dexos™ offers more miles between oil changes. Skeptics say Dexos™ is probably very similar to GF-5. This proprietary oil will certainly bring licensing fees and royalties to GM. However, it might also alienate new GM car owners who discover a Dexos™ oil change is more expensive and initially only available at new car dealerships. Exclusive oil does not offer owners much cachet.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Rip.......

And the moment it goes out of warranty I'd switch over to my favorite synthetic blend.

Ryan

Fellro

Staff member
While not as prominent as engine oil changes, already been done on the NV transmissions in both Dodges and GM's. The oil runs around $20-30 a quart, 4 quarts required. Royal Purple is the only aftermarket gear oil that works, but would likely void warranty if said trans is still under warranty.

It will likely factor in to many people buying their new cars, and they may just shoot themselves in the foot with that... I know I would refuse to buy one that would be like that.

In my opinion, The manufacturer specified lubricants and filters are always better than the after market, except for high performance or racing applications, where I prefer more zinc.

So... I will continue to go to the dealership to buy the product, but will install it my self.

If cost is the concern, the dealer still isn't going to be any cheaper because they charge labor!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Rip.......

And the moment it goes out of warranty I'd switch over to my favorite synthetic blend.

Ryan

Legit question...how would they know if you weren't using their oil????? Unless they sent it off to be tested, or if it turned pink instead of black.

While not as prominent as engine oil changes, already been done on the NV transmissions in both Dodges and GM's. The oil runs around $20-30 a quart, 4 quarts required. Royal Purple is the only aftermarket gear oil that works, but would likely void warranty if said trans is still under warranty.

It will likely factor in to many people buying their new cars, and they may just shoot themselves in the foot with that... I know I would refuse to buy one that would be like that.

I realize some parts are tempermental and prefer different brands and weights...but how can a certain oil be the 'only' oil that works????

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Legit question...how would they know if you weren't using their oil????? Unless they sent it off to be tested, or if it turned pink instead of black.

I guess that's a question left for the professionals. At 20 bucks a quart, though, a little bit of testing dye infused wouldn't be cost prohibitive.

Ryan

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I guess that's a question left for the professionals. At 20 bucks a quart, though, a little bit of testing dye infused wouldn't be cost prohibitive.

Ryan

I guess that's where I'd momentarily submit to them and grab a couple quarts of 'their' oil and do a quick oil change, before it went back to the dealership. I hate it when people try to get you by the nards.

That said...if you can't afford the oil change, you probably can't or shouldn't afford the vehicle and the monthly payment.

Fellro

Staff member
On the NV trannys, it is the synchros that are the issue, it has to be rated for the brass synchros vs fiber synchros. Use the wrong oil, and the synchros disintegrate. If I recall, the GL-4 rating is what is required, while GL-5 is the common oil most gear oils are rated for. Generally, there will be some kind of telltale thing like that.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Found this little blurb in the Rockauto newsletter. What a crock! :headbang:

Changing engine oil is many automotive do-it-yourselfers’ (DIY) first experience under the hood. DIY oil changes are convenient, save money, help prevent stripped oil drain plugs, and let the owner choose his favorite oil filter and oil.

DIY oil changes have faced challenges over the years. Some cities considered banning DIY oil changes to prevent disastrous pollution from used oil. Strong public support for DIY oil changes has led to good solutions, like education and mandatory oil recycling, in most places.

The latest challenge could be coming from General Motors. Traditionally, car manufacturers specify different oil weights (5W30) or broad categories like synthetic, but they all use the same oil standards (currently ILSAC GF-5 for gas engines) and leave it up to the vehicle owners or repair shops to choose their favorite oil brands.

Now GM is changing the status quo by requiring their proprietary, Dexos™ oil be used in new GM cars beginning in 2011. GM says Dexos™ offers more miles between oil changes. Skeptics say Dexos™ is probably very similar to GF-5. This proprietary oil will certainly bring licensing fees and royalties to GM. However, it might also alienate new GM car owners who discover a Dexos™ oil change is more expensive and initially only available at new car dealerships. Exclusive oil does not offer owners much cachet.
Doug, its really no different than Ford specifying Mercon SP for the torq-shift trans. Which Ford never released any licenses to any oil companies. So it was 1 brand only trans fluid service for DIY'ers. We got over it pretty quick, as some internet sales brought the price down for the DIY'ers to an acceptable price.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
In my opinion, The manufacturer specified lubricants and filters are always better than the after market, except for high performance or racing applications, where I prefer more zinc.

So... I will continue to go to the dealership to buy the product, but will install it my self.

If cost is the concern, the dealer still isn't going to be any cheaper because they charge labor!
In anything running a camshaft with nail heads, I would agree, however with roller cams and much better valvetrain angles and components, is the reason it ever left the oil to begin with, it quite simly is not good for newer cars, catalysts, valves, seals, ect. ect. and is no longer really needed.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
I saw Shell Oil burn up 2 high speed gear reducers (turbine gear boxes) due to not wanting to run the recommended Mobil SHC rated oil by Philidelphia Gear. Swore up and down, there version of the synthetic gear oil was every bit as good, and it looked bad to have a competitors product onthe platform. Factory tech from Philidelphia brought the recommended Mobil SHC lubricant with him when he installed the 3rd unit and it has been running ever since. (Shell eventually bit the bullet and got the correct lubricant on the platform after a hard lesson learned) Not to say all manufacturers do that extensive of testing and engineering of components to a nth degree using a single source lubricant, however many 6.0l/torq-shift owners also learned the same hard and expensive lesson.

Ford Truck Articles