Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Sitting along the road pondering........

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
The flathead took leave of our long term relationship today. The last couple of days it has been running a little odd. Nothing dramatic, just stalling once in awhile. This is a 48 F1 with a 51 merc V8.

Going to town this afternoon running about 60 and all at once the engine died. Coasted into a driveway and waited for my daughter to bring a can of gas. Acted like it was out of fuel.

Gas didn't fix it tho. Wouldn't start or even cough with the choke full on. Popped the distributor and had my daughter watch the rotor - sure enough, the rotor isn't moving.

Any guesses? I figure either the distributor gear or cam gear lost a couple of teeth OR more likely the pin sheared on the dist gear. No matter, I've got to pull the front off and have a look.

I have had, personally, the bottom gear of the distributor snap the shear pin that holds it on the distributor shaft. The guy at Napa told me it was actually quite common. Check that before ripping the TC off :)

I know you said this... I just wanted to hear myself say it too...

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Pulled the dist and cover today - fiber timing gear grenaded. I'll replace it with an aluminum gear I have. It'll make more noise, but will be bulletproof.

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Thanks - and an update: The alum gear I have is cut for the older flathead cam revolution so it won't work with the 51 merc engine. (The gear pitch is cut opposite for early/late flatheads) Bill Boomer sent me one that should fit and it's sitting at the post office. Mailman on Friday left a note saying a package is waiting for me - sure makes for a long weekend.

We'll see what this week brings.
T

good luck Tim!

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Thanks for the positive thoughts Carl - it worked! The truck is running again. Took a few minutes last evening and today to swap in the correct gear and after messing with the timing some it took off.

The old gear had teeth worn down to knife-edges where they should be 1/8" thick. The timing should have been all over the place.

Anyway, it's good to have the flathead back on it's feet.... it sounds sooo good!

Ford Truck Articles