Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Distributor install problem

Hi, I am attempting to install another distributor and I am having a problem with the little hex shaped thing down in the motor that goes into the bottom of the distributor. It flops around and I cannot get it to stay centered.... I was wondering if anyone had a good solution for this, I had trouble with it last time and it was a nightmare....

Well at least I now know that is an option, I was wondering how to get to the other end, thanks. It just seems like there has got to be an easier way though.

Fellro

Staff member
Could try packing some grease around it such that it stays put better. Vasoline used to be used a lot for engine assembly.

Could try packing some grease around it such that it stays put better. Vasoline used to be used a lot for engine assembly.
That's what I ended up doing last time, but it's still a real pain. I guess I just gotta calm down and push through it. Thanks for your input, the vasoline does help.

Fellro

Staff member
Taken out of context, that can sound real bad.... ;)

The Pump rod is designed to move around a bit. Not flop around and
Not enough to make installing the dizzy an issue.
You can always use a socket, duct taped to an extension and slightly turn the pump rod to better allow the dizzy to guide down onto the pump rod easier.

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
What has happened here is...Once you pulled out the old distributor the rod started to come out with it then was removed from its perch in the oil pump..
try taking a strong telescopic magnet and VERY CAREFULLY fish the rod out.worst case scenerio...the pan will have to be dropped...

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts