Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Exhaust temperature

I have a 1997 Ford crew cab dually, 7.3l with a Banks turbo/stinger and a Banks "calibration chip" installed. The truck seems to run great, but I am concerned about the exhaust temperature, (after the turbo). I was pulling my toy hauler to Bishop CA, very slight grade the whole way, and when I would hit grades a bit steeper the truck would have all the pull needed, but the temp would rocket up as high as 1200, then I would back out of it or it would have kept going. The result would be 50 mph to hold it around 1000. Is this normal? What good is all this torque if I can't use it? Could the part. trap be partially plugged?

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
First off you must understand that "Post Turbo" egt are not nearly as accurate as to what the actual "Pre-Trubo" egt is. Post-Turbo egt readings can vary 200-600F lower than the Pre-Turbo egt. The temperature differential is not linear or constant. Many things effect Post-Turbo temperatures including, load, fuel amount, throttle position, boost, exhaust design, turbo design (VGT turbos have a much greater temperature differential than fixed vane turbos do to the moving vanes. As the vanes move the temperature & pressure changes inside the turbo, and this differential is much more exaggerated at partial throttle & mid rpm's than WOT).

For cruising down the highway you want to keep "Pre-Turbo" egt at 1050F or below, you can climb up to 1250F but would not recommend running it for hours on end, and you can briefly spike to 1350F. Running or hitting above 1350F Pre-Turbo is playing with fire, people will tell you that they have run above 1350F but things can start coming apart quickly, so play at your own risk. (Note: I am fully aware that in pull trucks, drag trucks & cars extreme egt are seen but it is for a short period of time, parts are expendable and money is no object, the object is to be the fastest and win).

Since you are measuring your egt Post-Turbo I would not want to see your egt ever exceed 950F since you do not know the temp differential (note 300-400F differential is fairly common). For cruising I would want to keep your egt at 750F or below.

Many things effect egt; load, ambient temperature (egt increases 3F for every 1F in ambient temp rise), altitude (every 1000 foot increase adds 25F egt), throttle position, boost, turbo design, over fueling (for every extra pound of fuel burned egt increases 5F), restricted intake air (every 10 inches of mercury increase adds 30F to egt), head wind/wind resistance, lugging engine.

How heavy is your toy hauler & tow rig all loaded up? If you don't know then go to a CAT scale and find out.

Also note that long stretches of continuous inclines causes everything to heat up and retain the heat, then you hit a steep section and the temperature really spikes quickly. Downshifting and easing up on the throttle will lower egt & engine temps. Also becareful cresting hills as you do not want the egt & engine temps to drop to quickly as this can cause catastrophic failures as well.

As far as 50mph being a normal speed for your application that may actually be to fast since you are seeing 1000F Post-Turbo. You must understand that the road conditins, weather conditions, your total load and your right foot have a large impact on the egt and overall engine temperature.

When you start modifying (Hot Rodding) and engine there is always a price to pay, more horsepower & torque is not free no matter what the aftermarket "chip/tuner" manufactures say. Before the advent of computerized engines it was much more time consuming & expensive to increase power output and you had to understand engine operation & theory, now anyone who knows how to plug in a computer can change the power output but in doing so they may very well overstress the factory parts.
Just because you have more Hp &Tq does not mean you can safely use it in all applications.

The first thing I would do if I were you is install the Pyro "Pre-Turbo" and also install an aftermarket Engine Oil Temp & Water Temp gauge so that you can keep a watch on these critical items.

Hope this helps smilieFordlogo

Last edited:
Thank you guys
Ihave a oil leak top left of eng 2002 7.3 power stroke looks like coming from a bolt hole just rear of inter cooler housing plate on head ?

Well, since my last post I have replaced the EGT gauge and installed the new one pre turbo. I have also removed the particulate trap and installed an intercooler. It's pretty common to see 1000 degrees on an incline and that's not towing anything. The turbo is a Garrett 1825818C91 1.10A/B, if I understand this number correctly this turbo housing is a little smaller than stock? Indicating this turbo has been changed? A smaller housing would create more boost, i.e. more temp, could this be accounting for the EGT temps?

Also, I read in some Banks literature that you can run 1200 to 1250 all day long with no problems. What are your thoughts on this statement?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts