Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

'68 Ring and pinion replacement help

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Should be all you need...I assume you have a torque wrench for the preload?

dustybumpers

don't play well w others

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Good point to the bearings and races, mine were pretty trashed on the pinion.

Quad4x4 in Montana is a good place as well for parts.

Thanks for the replies. My uncle will assist with the install and he has more tools than I would probably ever need on my lifetime. One more question. How difficult is it to adjust the speedometer for the new gearing on an NP435?

Last edited:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I believe you have to change the gear inside the transmission...there are different gears available both for the one in the transmission and the one on the end of the speedo drive.
More or less teeth...so do a ratio to get an idea of what you need to change it to....as in the % difference between the old rear end ratio and new and apply that to the transmission speedo gear.

Thanks again. The truck currently has roughly 6.60s in it, so I'm going to go for 3.50s. I'll probably just get my local trans shop to mess with the speedometer for me eventually. Until then, I'll just use my phone.

Last edited:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
6.6 gears??...not stock then..holy crap that is a deep gear.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Wow. That is insane for a half ton truck!
Those gears should sell pretty quick, someone on the pulling circuit, or drag strip will love to have them

Speedometer gears are done in colors, I don't remember which ones do what ratios, but I do know there won't be any for that ratio
That being said, the 2 speed rear low range is usually 6 to 1, and uses an adapter in the cable, that shifts electrically with the button on the shifter when the rear is shifted.

My bet, the farmer used one of these adapters with the stock gear to make the speedometer correct, you will have to look in the cable for an adapter with a 12 volt supply

Ford Truck Articles