Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Anyone here have experience in swapping in a PS?

I'm very serious about wanting to put a diesel in my truck. With the cost of fuel and the mileage I get, I'm ready to swap motors. Has anyone here had any experience with dropping a PS into a Ford which previously ran gas?

I'm seriously considering FordCummins.com since they offer a complete turnkey solution, but I would rather install a PS. I don't want to have to swap the engine crossmember, though and this is the big issue. Would I have to swap the crossmember to install a PS diesel?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Sorry, I've only blown them up. I would imagine it wouldn't be too bad, but don't forget about the whole wiring harness and instrument panel.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
I know you'll need the whole wiring harness. Big change in sensors and everything. There's alot of work involved. Its not impossible, but really it might be easier to find a good used truck in the same generation with the diesel and just swap the body off. But I'm NO expert. I do know you'll need all the little details like the instrument panel since it has the wait light.

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
If you just learn to count to 8 before cranking...longer in winter..

Nope, no experience with the swap, but keep in mind that a PSD weighs in at around 1200lbs...could have a bit of an effect on the levelness of your truck.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I do believe the PS trucks come with a much stouter from end to support the extra weight of the engine. There WILL be some reinforcement to the frame and crossmember involved, I can almost guarantee it.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Check with your salvage yards. Many of them have crossover charts that show differing components. Your truck is new enough that most (if not all) parts will be available from many outlets (including the dealer).

Fellro

Staff member
It depends which motor you are swapping out as to how much headache it will be to put one in. You will need the diesel trans if you go PS, as the bell is just enough different , as well as the setup, that the gas trans won't work out too well. You can get some adapter plates to work, but getting the trans to live is the next problem. Check out Destroked for other Cummins adapter plates and the like. A Cummins is likely the easy way to go, but the PS conversions have been done. Check out the diesel conversion area over to The Diesel Garage, thedieselgarage.com for info from those who have actually done a PS swap. I did a Cummins from a 460 gas, not too bad a job, but your fabrication skills need to be pretty good for the most part to figure out the little things. I did all my own mounts, as I couldn't justify the pricetag on the premade stuff. The biggest headache of a PS swap would be the wiring for the computer and motor.

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
Try asking around on Oilburners.net Its almost solid diesel guys (obviously) and im sure that just about anything that can be done swap-wise has been done by one of them.

Storm

Easiest method is finding a 7.3.. Less electronics.. You move into a 6.0 and you starts looking at ECM's, TCM's and matting up electronic clusters since everything is powered through the PCM..

If I was doing the job.. I would go the 7.3.. Much easier to swap out.. 6.0 is possible, just lot more work involved.. Depends on how much cash you want to throw.. If you can find a totaled 6.0 with its guts at a decent price your set..

Storm said:
If I was doing the job.. I would go the 7.3.. Much easier to swap out.. 6.0 is possible, just lot more work involved.. Depends on how much cash you want to throw.. If you can find a totaled 6.0 with its guts at a decent price your set..

Will I have to screw with modifying or replacing the engine cross-member to do this swap? If so, then it's way too much work I think. I would have to take the entire front suspension apart just to spread the frame rails enough to swap the cross-member. :(

If not, then I'm very seriously considering the swap.

Storm

Will I have to screw with modifying or replacing the engine cross-member to do this swap? If so, then it's way too much work I think. I would have to take the entire front suspension apart just to spread the frame rails enough to swap the cross-member. :(

If not, then I'm very seriously considering the swap.

Can you get me a measurement of the cross member.. Go from front of the frame to the member..

I don't think you'll need to modify that.. You'll need universal motor mounts.. If I'm not mistaken you had a 460 in there? That's a pretty big block, just bout same as 7.3.. You should be fine..

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Can you get me a measurement of the cross member.. Go from front of the frame to the member..

I don't think you'll need to modify that.. You'll need universal motor mounts.. If I'm not mistaken you had a 460 in there? That's a pretty big block, just bout same as 7.3.. You should be fine..
Even if the block is similar in size, the difference in weight between the engines is pretty large. I'd be willing to bet that the 460 crossmember ain't strong enough to support the weight of the PSD.

Fellro

Staff member
Crossmember between a diesel and a 460 are the same. the only change they made was the motor mount location. the 460 mounts right behind the cross, while the diesel mounts right on top of the cross. What you need is the plate that sits right on top of the frame. Bolt holes are all there, just need those plates.
The W cross is a bit different, but it can be reworked to do the job the same as the 460/diesel cross. Material wise, they are similar, main thing was the big hole for the filter in the frame.

Fellro

Staff member
The W cross is a bit different, but it can be reworked to do the job the same as the 460/diesel cross. Material wise, they are similar, main thing was the big hole for the filter in the frame.
Once you have the plate for the diesel, you could fill in the area that is needed for supporting the plate, The cross is strong enough, that won't matter, you just need to make an area for the plate to mount to, and give it some support from underneath. I'll have to dig for the pics, but basically, the diesel has an oval hole where the bolts for the motor mount come through. You could even do without the plates if you wanted to, they aren't necessary, just a means to make the cross more universal.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Talked to my brother (has a 97 PSD) and he said the crossmember should be the same (as Roger already explained). He said you're biggest issue is suspension. If you've got 3/4 or 1 ton suspension it'll do fine but it'll wear out fast. His words not mine ;)

Fellro

Staff member
With a Dana 60 up front, I don't think the wear will be an issue, since it was designed to work under the diesels anyway, and if you already have the air springs up front, then the suspension won't be an issue either. Had it still had the gas front under it, I would have been more concerned about the extra weight on it.

Storm

Sorry I just got back to this..

Cross member for 351/460 are pretty much identical.. Your fine in that department.. Like Fellro said, you can strengthen the plate, but not required..

As for the suspension.. Air-Ride or conventional, you'll wear just about as normal as I do with my suspension.. So again no problem..

Ford Truck Articles