Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

low-cost AWD's?

been thinking about replacing my 2wd Ranger someday with something that gets better fuel mileage and is hopefully AWD. Looking for something newer and under $20k. Subaru Forester would be my 1st choice, also looked at Jeep Patriot, and of course Ford Escape, but want something with a manual. Then it came to me in a dream, Suzuki SX4, anyone know about these? gonna start the research...

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Subarus are all over the place around here- makes it real easy to find parts and people who know how to work on 'em. May or may not be true in your area, and may or may not matter much to you.

AWD is nice, but I've yet to talk to anyone who's got one and sees much, if any, over 30 mpg (and in VT, I talk to a lot of people driving AWD cars). And having driven Dad's Focus on good snow tires back to back with Mom's Forester on good all-seasons...under almost any normal winter conditions I'd rather drive FWD on real snows, than AWD on all-seasons-- even without factoring in lower ownership costs. (AWD with real snows would be best, of course.)

*Mom bought an '05 Forester new. Base model with a manual. Boring, tolerably comfortable, pretty reliable for 100k now. I've only checked mileage on longer trips, and I think it was 28-29 highway. She picked it and continues to love it- I thought it boring but practical on the test-drive, and haven't changed my opinion, either.

Fellro

Staff member
The Audi Quattro's can be a bit of a beast, but parts and service on them can make them less attractive.

Those sx4 s go real well out here - never really heard any complaints about them .

yeah, we had our 1st real good dump yesterday (of snow, lol), about a foot, between 8am and 5pm. Drove my beast home in 4wd, and had a damn Audi on my bumper the whole way, that's what got me thinking. Truck still felt a lil squirelly with good all-terrains and a fair amount of weight in the back. Anyway, yeah tons of Subi's around here, everything I've read about the Zuki's sound good, but closest dealer is 2hrs away, and closest used one I saw is in Vegas. Have been lookin' at Focuses for awhile now too, really I need about 4 different cars to suit all my needs, lol. We'll see how the 'ol Ranger is doin' when I get her outta storage in a week or two.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
been thinking about replacing my 2wd Ranger someday with something that gets better fuel mileage and is hopefully AWD. Looking for something newer and under $20k. Subaru Forester would be my 1st choice, also looked at Jeep Patriot, and of course Ford Escape, but want something with a manual. Then it came to me in a dream, Suzuki SX4, anyone know about these? gonna start the research...

AWD SUV priced under $20K? I think you found the only thing on the planet that fits that description. Even Hyundai and Kia got out of that price point a couple of years ago. $20K buys you a three-four year old Forester used, but NFW does that get you into a new one. Ditto Escape.

re: Patriot. Like all other mopars of late, sub-par quality. In the case of Jeep, no clue why or how the Patriot got into the Jeep lineup. It's a Dodge Caliber in Jeep clothing. Wasn't one of their best efforts, and that's really saying something.

Escape rocks- but again, a lot closer to $30 than $20 even with modest options.

re: manual SUV. :rofl: :rofl: Dead issue- Kia offers one in the Sportage, but I think we saw 2 all model year. And it wasn't like people were asking for them- just no demand for that anymore. Considering the millions it costs to certify any given engine/transmission combination for EPA, this situation is going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

yep, base model Forester's start in the low 20's, not too keen about purchasing a used one, personally. Patriot doesn't do much for me, I would give the Escape a second look, havin' a slushbox wouldn't be the end of world especially for those times I've injured myself, lol.
Kia Sportage, hmm, have heard okay things about them never really gave 'em a whole lotta thought lately. I'm sure when all the snow melts, and gas prices go up, I'll be dreamin' about something else...

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts