Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

floor jack & jack stands guidelines

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
Im my Gallery of pics are two pictures of a very safe 3 ton rated jack stands.they are constructed of heavy iron & the saddles are cast iron.the handle at the neck is the release handle for the adjustable saddle.when the saddle is raised it will interlock with a heavy duty tab that is attached to the handle in the neck of the stand.they only release when the vehicle is lifted from the stand by lifting up on the handle.as you can see these units have been used a long time & ive had them well over 10 years,these stands are suitable for PASSENGER cars,vans,pickups.bigger units are available for the real heavy trucks{heavy equipment}i got these units at harbor freight,shortly after one of my department store stand folded up on me one day while changing a tire.been there done it i wont repeat it.

1} always use stands on a flat level hard surface preferably concrete,if you have to use them on asphalt or dirt,simply take some stout flat steel & make a ground platform so they do not sink.never use stands on gravel or an incline or uneven surfaces.

2} always chock the wheels at opposite end of the vehicle being raised{if you working at the front of the vehicle,chock the rear tires & visa verse when working in the rear.if you intend to raise all 4 wheels i still chock the tires.while one end of the vehicle is still on the ground.this will prevent the vehicle from sliding on the stands that are in place,once i did not chock the tires on the opposite end of the vehicle i was raising & i lowered the vehicle on the stands,the vehicle moved slightly & did slide on the stands,this got my attention pretty quick.luckily it did not fall.BEFORE YOU GET UNDER THE VEHICLE MAKE SURE THE VEHICLE IS SITTING PROPERLY ON THE STANDS!!!FRAME RAILS SHOULD BE IN THE CENTER OF THE JACK STANDS SADDLES!!ALWAYS LOWER THE JACK SLOWLY ON THE STANDS DO NOT DROP THE JACK ON THE STANDS!

3} unless you are only removing 1 wheel.install the stands in pairs by raising the vehicle either at the pumpkin {center section of the differential} or by the mid section of the engine cross member or frame supports.once the vehicle is raised,place the stands under the frame supports close to the firewall just behind the front tires at the front & under the differential out twards the rear tires, or the frame rails in front of the rear wheels in the rear.keep the stands parrallell to one another per axle.DO NOT STAGGER THE STANDS!!NEVER place stands under the body or the floor of the vehicle.keep the stands away from the center of the vehicle.lets say you have the front of the vehicle on stands & intend to raise the rear also,raise the rear by the pumpkin just high enough to the desired height you will be working at & put the stands in place do NOT over raise the vehicle it could slide on the stands & visa verse.while raising the front.

4} when removing one wheel,place the floor jack under the side being raise on the frame rail
just behind where the stand will go.{at the front of the vehicle}at the rear of the vehicle,place the floor jack under the desired rear frame rail in front of where the stand will go.once the stands in place lower the jack EASY DO NOT DROP IT ON THE STANDS!!..often times i will leave the jack under the vehicle as a safety.if the rear is raised i will put the jack under the pumpkin[mid section of differential}or axle support if its a front wheel drive.& put a little of the vehicles weight on it but not enough to raise the vehicle off the stands.at the front i place the jack under the engine cross member at the center of the cross member.& do the same.this "gives you an out" should a stand fail while you are under the vehicle.

5} always use a good grade industrial type floor jack when raising the vehicle.keep the bumper or scissors jack in the trunk..these are for emergency use only & should never be trusted to support a vehicle,do not support a vehicle with any type of jack industrial or not without the use of stands period!!the hydraulic units of a floor jack are sealed with simple rubber o rings,if the o rings fail the jack will DROP!

6} be aware of the department stores hydraulic jacks & stands although they maybe inexpensive,& work for the most part,but they are cheaply constucted & as they age with use & time they will eventually fail. i also consider these units as light duty & emergency use only!most of all use common sense when using & shopping,pick the stand up off the self inspect it carefully if it is light in weight do not buy it.YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR! SPEND A FEW BUCKS MORE & GET THE GOOD STUFF!

7} i recommend a MINIMUM of a 2 ton hydraulic jack for use on PASSENGER ONLY cars,vans,pickups.3 ton jack stands.heavy equipment vehicles require a much more weight rated jack & stands,my floor jack is rated for 2 & 3/4 ton, any more i primarily work on pass cars & trucks...im getting to old for the heavy equipment...

8} always make sure your area is secure while the vehicle is raised.keep kids away from unsupervised areas.kids have curious minds & dont know the hazzards they maybe subjecting themselves to.keep the keys in your pocket never in the ignition on a raised vehicle.NO ONE SHOULD BE IN THE VEHICLE WHILE IT IS RAISED OR YOUR UNDERNEATH OF IT PERIOD!

phew i think thats all of it.if you follow my advice & use common sense,you should never have a prolblem.although we cannot control all situations.we can prevent things from happening! your loved ones will thank you for it! Bob

Here ya go, BuzzGun79...

jack_stands_001.jpg

jack_stands_002.jpg

I got a nice 3.5 ton jack from fleet farm for $160.I still use my 20 yr sears jack for most jobs.you can never have enough jack stands.I bought 2 12 tons for putting the car high enough for header installs .

Last edited by a moderator:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Great post!...I'd like to add that although lifting of the vehicle by the pumpkin is often done, most manufacturers recommend against it.

David1357

'94 F150 5.0
Very well done...and much appreciated. The most uncommon sense is common sense, they say. And this was a good reminder to all...

A very good write up Bob ...... it reminded me of a pic i was emailed a while ago so i thought i'd post it up as a "how not to do it" to add to your post - it is a bit funny if you take the danger aspect out of it....... he did use chocks though so i suppose we could say he's slightly safety concious.

roadside-auto-repair.jpg

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts