Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

7.3 cmp sensor recall

blacksnapon

Staff member
Safety Recall 07S57: Certain 1997 - 2003 F-Super Duty, Excursion, and E-Series Vehicles Equipped with 7.3L Diesel Engines - Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor Inspection / Replacement ------------------------------------------------------------
cpsTSB.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------more information latersmilieeatndrink

Last edited by a moderator:

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Wow... Vince, you beat me to this thread topic!!!

Here is the Yahoo news posting that just popped up at 11:30am CST.

Nowhere does it state that if one already paid for this repair that one would be reimbursed.... but I sure hope so for those that already got stranded on the side of the road previously!!!

smiliegitrdone smiliegitrdone smiliegitrdone

By KEN THOMAS, Associated Press Writer - 12/6/07

WASHINGTON - Ford Motor Co. said Thursday it is recalling 1.17 million trucks, sport utility vehicles and vans to fix an engine sensor that could lead to engine stalling.

The recalled vehicles are all from the 1997-2003 model years with 7.3 liter diesel engines, including the Ford E-Series van, Excursion full-size sport utility vehicle, and F-450 Super Duty and F-550 Super Duty trucks.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said in a posting on its Web site that the camshaft position sensor located on the engine could function intermittently and lead to an engine stall and potential crash.
The sensor is an electrical component that helps regulate the fuel going into the engine.

Ford spokesman Dan Jarvis said there have been 14 accidents associated with the problem, but no injuries reported.
In the event of an engine stall, Jarvis said drivers traveling at speeds greater than 30 miles per hour would have full power steering and power braking, allowing them to pull over to the side of the road.
At speeds below 30 mph, the motorists would still have braking and steering functions, he said.

Dealers will inspect the sensor and replace it with a new one free of charge. The recall is expected to begin around Dec. 17, with mailing of notification letters to be completed in phases by May 2008. Owners can contact Ford at (866) 436-7332.

Last edited:

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
My brother has got a 97 F250 with the 7.3L psd... Does this recall not apply to him?

On a semi-related note, I do know that he has purchased some NEW and improved cam position sensor that costs only a FRACTION of what the old ones cost...

Storm

Doesnt say a thing about F250/F350

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Doesnt say a thing about F250/F350

It states '97 - 2003 diesel trucks with the 7.3L motor... so yes, that includes F250/F350. Why did they mention F450/F550 and not all models... who knows... but I would just assume that all 7.3L's are covered?

On 6 trucks (4 F50 Duallies and 2 F350s) plus my own we went thru a dozen of those in the last year alone. Bear in mind, me were putting major miles on the trucks, but the failures didn't stop until we switched to the "Blue" Cam Position Sensor. The 7.3 is the same motor in each.
Improved Cam Position Sensor (CPS) for 7.3L Ford Powerstroke

International Part Number: IHC#1807339C92
bluecps.jpg

The IHC CPS provides a stronger more consistent signal to the Ford computer which results in a more accurate injection of fuel and better running engine with easier starts.

Works on all 96.5-03 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel
94-97 models may require shimming to install correctly.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Just talked to my brother and he said he's already got an appointment to have his taken care of later this week. Thanks for the heads up guys, the resources here are indispensable ;)

I think he meant on a national scale... they gotta tool up for this.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
How does the 6.0L motor operate... does it have a Cam Position Censor... and if so... is it a newdifferent design that has not had the "issues" like the 7.3L motor has had?

I thought I saw, either here or elsewhere, that the sensor it uses is a CRANK position sensor, and is IN the motor on the 6.0, but I'll leave it to the techs !

Last edited:

Storm

It states '97 - 2003 diesel trucks with the 7.3L motor... so yes, that includes F250/F350. Why did they mention F450/F550 and not all models... who knows... but I would just assume that all 7.3L's are covered?

Well excuse me Mr. Expert English Instructor... I tend to look for the hard facts, F250/F350 etc.. Only stating the obvious.. Sheesh, don't have to chap mah rear every time man..

Oh wait.. 7.3L.. DOH I got a 6oh.. I don't have this problem ROFL

smiliegitrdone smiliegitrdone smiliegitrdone

BTW Beach, only a poke, keep yah panties on :) Lets go grab a beer eh.. I need some Fitties and Beers Yah know!

smiliegitrdone

Storm

The CPS to the 7.3L is the ICP to the 6.0.. Pre 04 tho.. When they were under the Turbo, they tend to crap out pretty fast like the CPS does.. Now that they are on the Valve cover, doesn't happen so much..

No CPS is completely different the ICP.. Just comparing trouble parts between the two..

'03-'05 CMP sensor:
CMP.jpg

Looks like it goes DEEP in the block, lol...

For reference only; not applying it to the recall.

blacksnapon

Staff member
the camshaft position sensor on a 6.0 is behind the ps pump on the driver side. Most of the issues with it involves o-ring oil leaks.

Ford Truck Articles