Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

wheel bearing on 08 Pilot

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Anybody have any tips on removing the hub to replace the pass side rear wheelbearing on an '08 Honda Pilot?

Thanks..........

Fellro

Staff member
Removal & Installation

Specific to:

Honda Pilot 2006-2008

Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.

Make sure that the front tire and wheel assemblies are in the straight ahead position.

Raise and support the vehicle safely.

Remove the tire and wheel assemblies.

Remove the brake hose mounting bolts from the trailing arm. Remove the brake hose mounting bolts from the knuckle.

Remove the caliper mounting bolts. Remove the caliper. Position it to the side. Do not allow it to hang by the brake hose. Do not twist the brake hose.

Remove the wheel sensor harness from the knuckle. Do not disconnect the wheel sensor connector.

Raise the locknut stake of the spindle. Remove and discard the nut.

On 2WD models, remove the rear axle shaft from the knuckle.

Release the parking brake. Remove the brake disc from the rear hub.

Remove the parking brake shoes and parking brake cable.

Remove the lock pin from the upper arm ball joint. Remove the castle nut. Discard the nut.

Disconnect the upper arm ball joint from the knuckle, using the proper tool.

Remove the self locking nut, washer and flange bolt. Remove the lower arm -A-. Discard the self-locking nut.

Remove the flange bolts and separate the knuckle from the trailing arm. Discard the flange bolts.

Position a floor jack under the lower arm -B-. Remove the nut, washer and flange bolt. Discard them.

On 4WD vehicles remove the knuckle while pushing in the halfshaft and holding the halfshaft outboard joint.
WARNING
Do not pull the halfshaft end outward. The halfshaft inboard joint may come apart.
Remove the flange nuts, backing plate and snapring.

Press the wheel bearing out of the knuckle.

WARNING
Separate the hub from the knuckle using the special tool and a hydraulic press. Be careful not to deform the backing plate.

Press the wheel bearing inner race from the hub.

to install:

Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.

Press a new wheel bearing into the knuckle using the old bearing, a steel plate, the support base and a press. Be careful not to damage the sleeve of the seal pack.
NOTE
First install all suspension components and lightly tighten the bolts and nuts, then raise the suspension to load it with the vehicles weight before fully tightening the nuts and bolts to specification.

0996b43f80e4254e.gif

0996b43f80e4254f.gif

0996b43f80e42550.gif

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/re...epairGuideContent.jsp?pageId=0996b43f80e64af6

Last edited:

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
"...using the special tool and a hydraulic press..."

So that's what I was missing!

Thanks Roger - that will be a huge help tomorrow when I tackle this thing. And pictures are always good for me.

This rig belongs to my dau-in-law. I figured, "how hard can a wheel bearing be - I've replaced dozens of them, but not on a Honda.

Fellro

Staff member
Honda has some of the toughest wheel bearings to do. Looks like they use a dummy shaft for the 2wd versions. I doubt a special tool is absolute, should be able to get by with something of close diameter.

Honda had some front rotors that required hub removal in order to get them off... similar procedure to what it states there.

Still trying to figure out why this is important to mention....
Make sure that the front tire and wheel assemblies are in the straight ahead position.

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Mission accomplished!! Thank you Roger - I couldn't have done it without your input and those diagrams! I keep forgetting that AZ has that stuff online....

....aw crap, I don't remember if I straightened the front wheels or not. Think I should start over? LOL

Ended up taking it to a friend's shop who has a 20 ton press. The two of us spend 3 1/2 hours on it. The knuckle has to come out and the press was necessary - that bearing is a double ball bearing with races about 1 1/2" wide. I swear that knuckle has about 15 attachment points and all have to be removed. Oh, yeah, the dust shield doesn't come off until you press out the hub - makes for some creative staging on the press to get around it.

Thanks again!

Fellro

Staff member
Happy to help out. In order to get into the actual service info area, you have to actually log into the site, which means you have to give them your info, but it is free. It was kind of an asset that I knew the website as well, since I could then direct customers to how to find things. It also helped me figure out the system at the store as well.

Doesn't surprise me about the dust shield, between looking at the diagrams, as well as just the way Honda does things.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts